New Eee Box 204/206 - Perfect Client?? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If it plays 1080p x264 files then I will buy one in a second :)

Guess I would need a VGA converter for my projector though :(

EDIT: Oh it comes with a normal hard disk, boo! Don't think I could give up my SSD drive.

I think you are right to be worried about x264 files. h264 encoded files in 1080p (and even 720p) that use higher than profile L4.1, couldnt be hardware accelerated last i checked on my old HTPC with an ATi 3450 card (though the 720p files can be fixed without re-encoding). Many x264 files use profile L5.1 if i remember correctly. Even worse, they would not play until i switched to a codec that didnt use DXVA2. Also, i never did manage to get any kind of WMV to play with hw accel.

Of course, if you are only going to be playing Bluray and DVD, then it will probably work fine.

And i agree completely on the SSD drive (though as mentioned above, the HDD could easily be replaced) :)

Personally, i think the Eee Box is too big ;) I prefer my Aopen MP45-DR which is about 16.5cmx16.5cm (width and depth) compared to the 22.2×17.8 of the Eee box (at least the 203). Of course, the AOpen is much more expensive, especially when you (like me) decide to equip it with a CPU that can handle 1080p decoding in software :)

Overall, i think the Eee Box sounds like a really great product, but at least for me it would only be useful if the h264 hardware decoding problems were solved.

Anthraxdk

Portal Member
    February 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ziphnor that Aopen looks cool.. where did you buy and it where did you buy CPU, ram and hdds :) And how much did it cost in DKK ? :)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ziphnor that Aopen looks cool.. where did you buy and it where did you buy CPU, ram and hdds :) And how much did it cost in DKK ? :)

It is cool, but its also alot more expensive than the eee box :)

The AOpen itself and the CPU (which is an engineering sample) i got on ebay (brand new though).

The AOpen was $539 ( i dont remember how much it was in DKK at the time).
    The CPU was $440.
    I also paid a bit of customs on one of these, i think 700DKK.

The RAM was €56 from CSV-direct.de.
    The 16GB SSD drive was €156 from CSV-direct.de (expensive because its an SLC flash drive). (it doesnt need more storage as all the media is on my server sitting on a shelf in another room).

It can be build cheaper by using a less extreme CPU (like the T9500 or similar), and replacing the flash SSD for a good laptop HDD. I am not sure what the safe limit is on the CPU for 1080p software playback though.

Hildebrandt

Portal Pro
    June 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am excited !! I have the current eeebox in the bedroom and i think its pretty cool. Only problem I have is not being able to watch DVB-T HD from the server (CPU sits at 100%). This new model will fit that . . ...

Is it here yet :p

So - using the eeebox you can't run the client and stream tv from server placed in other computer???

TranceManNZ

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006
    I am excited !! I have the current eeebox in the bedroom and i think its pretty cool. Only problem I have is not being able to watch DVB-T HD from the server (CPU sits at 100%). This new model will fit that . . ...

Is it here yet :p

So - using the eeebox you can't run the client and stream tv from server placed in other computer???

This is correct for HD signals. If you are running SD TV signal then the eeebox works fine. It's a bit of a shame really.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    As an alternative, Norwegian users should cehck out iWill.no, who has mITX-based 780G (HD3200) and nVidia 8200IGP - using X2 4850e! Not bad price, either.(Mobo etc. can be bought separately). Can be delivered with slot in DVD-RW (why are these so hard to get a hold on?).No built in IR-remote, though... :(
    JC-110-B.gif
    JBC202C62K-B2.jpg

Might not be as stunning when it comes to looks, but I actually like it better than the eeBox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom