New "Filmstrip View" idea, comments needed.. (1 Viewer)

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,
    We were discussing a new view yesterday in IRC.

We currently have this idea:

filmstrip.jpg

Now we need your ideas to..

1. Leave like this it's ok
    2. Remove the thumbnail bar @ the bottom I wanna see 1 pic @ a time
    3. Remove the Info next to the big picture, I want a bigger picture

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Mario,

hmmm, i like this view! :)

It is much better than to hit F3 every time to see the movie infos. Keep the thumbnail bar, it is always importand to see were you are navigating to.

What you can never see from a screenshot: How is the navigation solved? How do you get the full plot and the casting?

A step in the right direction! :)

Flip.

gabbe

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2004
    Sweden
    Looks nice, my suggestions here:
    Good pic size, keep the info.
    Make the thumbnail scrollable in left / right direction with only left / right buttons instead of up / down.
    And SAVE all info about the movie on hdd. Do not read the info from IMDB more than first time or on request.
    And I want it to be saved as a file in the same directory as the movie (example "moviename.imdb"). Then it very easy to add own info and save it together with the avi and pic on a cd or dvd for backup...
    thanks /gabbe

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi gabbe,

gabbe said:
    Make the thumbnail scrollable in left / right direction with only left / right buttons instead of up / down.
    Good idea.
    gabbe said:
    And SAVE all info about the movie on hdd. Do not read the info from IMDB more than first time or on request.
    This is already done! The view you are seeing here, i think, is the "database" view The info is stored in a SQLite database. And it should, in my opinion, stay there. Saving the info in the file dir will slow everything down.

You can edit the infos for your own with SQLite tools already if you want. Not very comfortable, but it is ok and possible.

Flip.

gabbe

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi,

Flip said:
    gabbe said:
    This is already done! The view you are seeing here, i think, is the "database" view The info is stored in a SQLite database. And it should, in my opinion, stay there. Saving the info in the file dir will slow everything down.

You can edit the infos for your own with SQLite tools already if you want. Not very comfortable, but it is ok and possible.

Flip.

OK, but I like the way G.A.M works (with separates files) and its very fast. Can't understand that a DB should be faster than reading a specified file directly.
    What happens with the DB if I deletes some movies from the hdd and only keep them on cd/dvd? Can I browse them and look at pic and read info then? Or must I "check in" the movie as an offline movie?
    This was a little bit off topic. I like the new view very much...
    /gabbe

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What happens with the DB if I deletes some movies from the hdd and only keep them on cd/dvd? Can I browse them and look at pic and read info then? Or must I "check in" the movie as an offline movie?

When the movie is offline, you can go to the database entry of that file and say on what disc# you burnt it.
    This way you can still select it to watch and see all info about it.
    When you select it you will get a popup window telling you to "please enter disc#"
    When you do so, playback will start after this.

This is all in the manual to...

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    Hi,
    We were discussing a new view yesterday in IRC.

Now we need your ideas to..

1. Leave like this it's ok
    2. Remove the thumbnail bar @ the bottom I wanna see 1 pic @ a time
    3. Remove the Info next to the big picture, I want a bigger picture
    My 2cts:
    - Response: 1. I think this is great.
    - Other thoughts:
    I would have:
    play dvd/eject removed
    a "switch info" (how creative!) button that would cover the following states: overview (your snapshot)/ cast / edit (could come later) / refresh (to override w/ info from IBDM)
    In case you don't like the "switch info" thing with edit capabilities I suggest a "rating" button: every click increases the rating by 1 up to 10 then roll back to 0.
    I think sorting movies by order of personnal preference is very useful, hence should be very easy to do.

HTH

A

Anonymous

Hi,
    want to say, that this looks pretty nice, BUT No1-argument: it must be good readability of the film infos! So eg. the plot-line with only 3-5 words looks very small to read normally (not the way our brain is trained) (nothing for an old-german brain :roll: )!
    An idea: what do you think to make the Film-infos in OSD and scrolling over the hole Space with bigger font size, and the Cover behind the scrolling infos, shining though? Is this possible?
    (hope anybody can understand my english :oops: )

doit4u

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Guys,

This view will be a view selectable like list / thumbs/big thumbs.
    So the menu on the left will stay the same. This is not a different page.

The plot info etc will prolly not show all. If you want all info simply press F3 and you get the extended info view.

doit4u > Yes you could place the text over the thumb, but this view was intended for the dudes that love to have a big thumbnail. Placing info over it will kill the look.
    And again, if you want all info, just press F3. We simply cannot have And a big picture And all text info..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom