New German strings.xml (1 Viewer)

Waltz

Portal Pro
December 14, 2004
Kiel, Germany
Maschine said:
Well said, rtv! Let's hope there will be more continuity with the string changes in the future. Maybe we can tell dman to take only string updates sent by you into cvs...

That would, of course, be okay for me! :)
But have there been any problems with continuity in the last versions?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Waltz!
    I already had a look at your suggestions to improve the current translation. First of all: Thank you for the large amount of time you surely invested.
    I appreciate your idea to reorder the xml tags. However, this makes string comparisons with my preferred merge tool impossible :?

I adopted a lot of changes like the correct use of "-" and some reorganizations. There may be some changes that I might not have seen due to the different structure of the files.

If you did the reorganization automatically I think _every_ translator would like the "original" english strings.xml to be in this unitary state (Although it is a lot of work to adapt this change).

P.S. please check this file: http://deesws1.es2000.de/fun/strings.xml

If everybody is okay with this I'd like to add my nick or email to the translation file with a little hint to sent updates directly to me therefore guaranteeing continuity of the translation (Phew this sounds like ancient bad english, eh?) :wink:

Waltz

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2004
    Kiel, Germany
    Hi rtv!

rtv said:
    I appreciate your idea to reorder the xml tags. However, this makes string comparisons with my preferred merge tool impossible

Hmm, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean - I didn't reorder anything as far as I know...? I just put the "Kino-Trailer" strings where they belong, according to their IDs, and where they are in the English strings.xml file as well.
    And I made some minor layout changes by adding some "tabstops" and some comments (took them from the English file as well).
    But I didn't change more than that - if I'm not mistaken... :oops:

This file (http://deesws1.es2000.de/fun/strings.xml) looks very fine to me :)
    There are some minor "problems", though:

- "Disc" is sometimes written "disk" (I'd prefer the first one),
    - some "-" are missing (890, 891...),
    - and some really small issues hardly worth talking about ;)

If everybody is okay with this I'd like to add my nick or email to the translation file with a little hint to sent updates directly to me

Yes, that's a great idea! Hope this will improve continuity. :)

- Waltz

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry guys - someone edited the german translation in current CVS to his own needs :evil:

Now the file formating is foobar - as are the "current active module" tags. Therefore case displays and some plugins may not work as intended :roll:

I hope the person responsible for this comments on the changes as it would be too much work to look at every single string id now with diff/merge programs no longer working...

Did any of you get a message or mail? There was no kind of discussion about changes in #mediaportal

Waltz

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2004
    Kiel, Germany
    Well, have not seen this yet - just wanted to make clear that I'm not responsible for these changes. :) Can't we just inform one of the developers that we need an older string file version back?

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

How did you create/administer the language file? I'm asking because yesterday the files of the online language editor were included. I don't know 100%, but that's what I got on IRC and saw in the CVS notification mails. Maybe you PM LordMessi or ask him on IRC as he's responsible for the languages now... I think pretty much there was an old version in the online language editor which made it now to CVS.

Maschine

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I already informed dman_lfc. Maybe today's CVS will still contain this file.

Nevertheless I'm interested in some comments on how he was thinking to improve some strings..

Mal am Rande: In der letzten C't wurden Media Portal und einige Konkurrenten getestet - so schlecht kann die Ãœbersetzung nicht sein, weil eigtl. bei fast jedem open-source-Projekt die "holprige" Ãœbersetzung beanstandet wird - hier nicht 8)

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    rtv said:
    so schlecht kann die Ãœbersetzung nicht sein

Hat ja auch niemand behauptet ;-) Ganz im Gegenteil, ich finde die deutsche Ãœbersetzung mittlerweile sehr gut. Klappt ja auch wunderbar mit dem System, was wir bisher hatten...

Wen meinst du mit "Wie er die Strings verbessern wollte"? Den Lord? Also er arbeitet ja nicht an der Übersetzung direkt (kann ja auch kein Deutsch), der Online-Editor soll nur dazu da sein um das Editieren einfacher zu machen, auch für Leute, die sich vorm "XML-Hacken" scheuen. Naja, meine Meinung zu der ganzen Geschichte muss ich ja hier nicht kundtun ;-)

Maschine

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So, habe gerade nochmal mit dem Lord gesprochen und die Strings sollten in Zukunft nur noch über den MPLE geändert werden... rtv, er dachte, du nutzt den MPLE schon und will sich jetzt nochmal mit dir in Verbindung setzen...

Grüße
    Maschine

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately the MPLE doesn't use the strings.xml directly from CVS therefore the source material was already outdated - maybe this lead to the current situation..

I'll have a talk with them if this would be possible or if I can get an account for updating MPLE myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom