New Install, TV Server TV Scan works, Preview says no Signal detected (1 Viewer)

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3

Description
Just downloaded and installed. Ran the TV Scanner, which detected 48 channels, and they seem to be the right ones for my cable provider service.
However when I try to preview a channel (any channel), I get no signal detected. CPU consumption runs at 100 percent until I kill the TVService or logout/reboot.
I'm using a Hauppage WinTV USB2-FM tuner, which seemed to work OK in Media Center and ubuntu (various modules like VLC, tvtime, etc.)
I did my homework applied the dvdbox fix (btw, the media centre services were NOT disabled automatically my the MP install, so I stopped all three of them manually.)
I thought there might be a small chance of a dependency on the install sequence, so I uninstalled and re-installed MP again after the dvdbox fix.
No effect.
I've attached the logs from the TV Server folder
Presumably you can get my hardware config from the my profile.
Thanks,
Jerry

Steps to Reproduce:
Start up Media Portal Server Config, try preview, OR
Startup MP client and try to tune in any channel.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can you also check and upload the logs from MediaPortal folder?
    Especially MediaPortal.log and error.log if available.

You are trying to watch analog cable I suppose? For this you need a software encoder installed.

Last edited:

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I could, except I never started the Media Portal client on the second install. I figured there was no point, since the Server Config had already failed.

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Sorry, I should have provided a longer response. There are no logs from the client since I didn't start it.
    Yes, I'm trying to watch/record analog cable. Media Center hasn't been capturing closed captions, so I'm looking for a better tool.
    This is the first reference I've seen to needing a software encoder installed. Wouldn't it already been in the MP defaults? Is it a separate process that needs to start before MP?
    Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1361664129][/DOUBLEPOST]The three files I provided were the only files in the TV-Server log folder. There is also a file in a sub-folder called OldLogs, attached.[DOUBLEPOST=1361664998][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for your responses.

I had a look at the software encoders in the TV-Server configuration the 'General' sub menu.
    Bumped the MainConcept (Hauppage) encoders to the top of the list for both Video and Audio. No change.
    Might be a distraction, though.
    Even if an encoder is needed, a message like 'No Signal Detected' seems to indicate that the failure is earlier in the processing cycle.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can you start the client and see if it is working?

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, tried that. Got a 'No signal' message (channel 2), as expected.
    While I appreciate that you are responsive and interested (especially on a Saturday evening, where I am), you haven't given me any insights into your thinking or expertise, nor have you responded to my question about why the software encoder issue might be relevant.
    What are the most likely causes/solutions?[DOUBLEPOST=1361668230][/DOUBLEPOST]My apologies.
    I see from your profile you are in Germany, so it's the wee hours for you as I type. I'm not sure what a Super Moderator is on this forum, since I just joined it a couple of hours ago, but I'm sure it means you spend a lot of volunteer hours helping others. Danke schoen.

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, here are the logs. Shut everything down and restarted Media Portal in Debug mode. Tried to 'turn on TV', which gave me an error after about 30 seconds of 'No Signal', indicating it was trying to tune in channel 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom