New Install, TV Server TV Scan works, Preview says no Signal detected (1 Viewer)

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well, the situation is improving. I fixed the SQL database. I also checked the tuner itself by rebooting my ubuntu config. It needed some sort of reset, since it wouldn't tune in ubuntu either. So I disconnected it and eventually got it reset and tuned in ubuntu.
Back to MP, and tried the preview on channel 6 and it worked, although its awfully slow to start up, the motion isn't smooth, sound only works sporadically, and the processor is running at 100%.
However MP itself still doesn't work. No error messages, it just doesn't ever tune in a channel, or respond. Eventually it locks up the whole computer. I guess this machine is underpowered. for this software Kind of disappointing, since I don't see the same performance issues in ubuntu, or even in Media Center. Even after exiting MP, task manager is still reporting processor usage 100%, with the TVService consuming almost all of it. Guess I'll keep looking for other solutions.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you use LAV codecs you can enable in its config hardware acceleration (best to use is DXVA2).
    See:
    =LAV_Video_-_Settings.JPG

This way the load gets taken off from your CPU and your video card helps with decoding.

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well, that looks helpful, except I can't find that particular screen shot anywhere in the MediaPortal config panels, even when I start the client config in expert mode. Is it a stand alone-utility?
    I'll fiddle with the encoder setups. I did see that the frame rate and frame size seemed to default to European settings, so I changed those to 29.97 and 720x480
    This is under TVServerConfig>TVServers>Analog Hauppage Cx23100 TUner>Settngs

I see that under
    TVServerConfig>General>Software Encoders
    there are some other choices, but only one of them is marked as 'installed', and in any case the heading at the tome is for 'devices that don't have hardware encoders'. So presumably the server software is already trying to use hardware encoding. I'll also reload ubuntu and save a copy of the tuner card capabilties from v4l2-ctl
    Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1361824370][/DOUBLEPOST]OK, I guess the standalone utility is GraphEdit. I downloaded it, but it looks like I need an SDK for Windows XP, which I don't have, and is no longer on the Windows site referenced under the GraphEdit documentation.
    Only one of the two dll's is in the download (proppage.dll) so I'm not sure it would work anyway.
    This is getting pretty deep.
    I'm not a software developer, so presumably I'd have to learn a bunch of new stuff in the SDK to figure out how to get the tool to load and run properly.
    That's quite aside from knowing enough about codecs to make intelligent and useful choices with respect to my installation.

Scarberian

February 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Here's the output from a ubuntu (linux) v4l2-ctl --all
    Not sure it adds much info, since the functionality is pretty basic.

Attachments

• Hauppage.txt
      1.3 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom