new moving pictures skin (by request) (1 Viewer)

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I like the view in Filmpstrip also very much and would like to try it out.
Can you post your xml code? Any images you use specifically?

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
He would need to post the PSD for the movie names as well tho..

Oh and Sambal/matsk88/jburnette would need to create a program that reads the moving pictures DB, and creates a .png in that style for every movie in there :D J/K

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
He would need to post the PSD for the movie names as well tho..

Oh and Sambal/matsk88/jburnette would need to create a program that reads the moving pictures DB, and creates a .png in that style for every movie in there :D J/K

If those images can be automatically created with their app, they could be auto generated by MediaPortal if they moved the code there. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for a skin to come accompanied with a "process" plug-in that the user drops into their plug-ins folder. This plug-in could then handle setup issues, image file generation, etc.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
But BasicHome was not using .png but plain text, wasn't it? I guess it could be done the same way...

Well that wouldnt work here.. Not right out of the box at least.

The difference in situation is huge, with basichome you can essentially do anything you want. Here you have to use views all ready implented in MP, and read from a database. The easiest way to do this, would be to have some program grab all movie names from the DB, and create a texture with that moviename on it. This was the way Jburnette first created the aeon menugenerator. Later it was modified to use text only tho.

Its possible to do, but I think it will require loads more work, and a rewrite of the plugin, and maybe even parts of MP. FForde would have to create a special view for moving pictures, that reads the movienames and places them on a single long texture, like the first version of aeon menu generator, just "on the fly". With all the stuff he has to do I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit:
@ FForde, yeah that would work I guess :) But somebody would really have to love this layout to create a program/plugin like that tho.. I guess time will show if somebody does.

How much work is it to implent this as a seperate view in the plugin like I described above? I don't expect it to happen any time soon, just asking ;)

Yabba

Portal Pro
July 13, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
Well, as you must know by now I'm completely ignorant about programming, so I was just guessing. Anyway I'd really like to use that skin just for list view. I think I would stick to that view forever : a nice backdrop, the movie title, a synopsis... who needs anything else?

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
You're right :) It would be really cool. If I could I would try to make it happen.

But I'm no programmer either, just genuinly interested in how stuff work.. My knowledge of programming is at the "true/false" level :p
I didn't know anything about xml either untill I one day wanted to change something in a MP skin, and I still learn a lot every time I try to change something.

tamago_quin

Portal Member
June 25, 2008
I'll be gone for 4 days now. when i return I'll update everyone on this, sorry :(

tamago_quin

Portal Member
June 25, 2008
As per request here is my skin for moving pictures. After upgrading to .5.5b I noticed the xml files have changed. I haven't had time to check the new xml file and whats there but I'll try to update this skin as soon as possible.

remember this is a list view so up and down cycle through the movies. Thumbnail view is for your preview right now. it should only show your thumbnails right now, not my text. if enough people are interested I'll update you on this. As it has been noted above it is lots of manual work to use text so use at your own risk :p

any questions or comments please post! thanks

quincy

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.5 KB
  • ice age 1.jpg
    ice age 1.jpg
    93.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom