New Music Database (1 Viewer)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I look in the directory mediaportal\music\thumbs\albums the image names using a double apostrophe
    EG: Guns N'' Roses _-Appetite For Destruction.jpg
    Renaming these files to use only a single apostrophe also resolves the problem.

Since I even got that album on Vinyl I'll look at the code to see what happens there. :D

Matty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    When I look in the directory mediaportal\music\thumbs\albums the image names using a double apostrophe
    Renaming these files to use only a single apostrophe also resolves the problem.

Since I even got that album on Vinyl I'll look at the code to see what happens there. :D

rtv,

I've done a bit of digging into the issue and problem is being introduced by the method
    MediaPortal.Database.DatabaseUtility.RemoveInvalidChars(ref string) when used in
    MusicDatabase.Updates.cs, MediaPortal.Music.Database.MusicDatabase::GetTag(string strFileName).

I hope this save some time. :)

Roo

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just discovered this same problem on my setup and came to the forums to see if I needed to post it or not.

Only appear to have 13 albums affected so I guess I'll do a quick bit of renaming of the thumbs for the meantime.

Hope it's an easy fix for you rtv.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've done a bit of digging into the issue and problem is being introduced by the method
    MediaPortal.Database.DatabaseUtility.RemoveInvalidChars(ref string) when used in
    MusicDatabase.Updates.cs, MediaPortal.Music.Database.MusicDatabase::GetTag(string strFileName).
    I hope this save some time. :)

Hehe - nice to see you're caring for it as well ;)

Well the problem is not that easy.. If everything would use that function (that would have to be checked itself as well) everything was alright. Unfortunately filesystems do not allow different chars then those not supported by the database.
    So filenames (e.g. for cover files) use Makefilename and similar functions which might "clean" different chars than RemoveInvalidChars :(

Furthermore this (of course) is not only a problem specific for cover art or music in general but for every part of MP.

So even with much work fixing all places by using a common function which substitutes ALL chars that are not supported it would at least demand a complete rebuild of ALL databases and ALL thumbnails. On the other side this could be considered a needed change - therefore the earlier the better...

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi rtv,
    If you're looking for encouragement, I consider a DB and thumbnail rebuild a small price to pay for a consistent UI!
    Thanks for all your good work!

Matty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    rtv,

I wasn't suggesting that DatabaseUtility.RemoveInvalid required the changes to resolve the problem, I was just highlighting where the issue occurs.

Thanks for looking into it.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Matt

The next SVN build will include some fixes regarding the apostrophe issues. However after some more checks I've found out that the underscore has been an issue which should be fixed for some weeks already. To be safe you should delete those files containing "_-" and rescan your collection again to build the proper cover art.

Matty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    RTV,

Thanks, great job. I've installed 16525 and all is good.
    No underscores or double apsotrophes.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Just installed 2.3.0 stable release and rescanned my music collection (after deleting MusicDatabase files).
    Everything seems to be there, but there are very few album cover graphics.
    I have folder.jpg for almost everything, and all appeared correctly in 2.3.0 RC2.
    Any idea what could be wrong here?
    Configuration log attached.

P.S. I am now gradually seeing album covers. Maybe their absence was due to my having cleared the folder cache and having selected "Create folder cache on demand".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom