New Music Engine (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebrock

September 14, 2006
activate Prologic II on your receiver and let the receiver do the job for you.

Sorry, maybe I was being unclear. My Realtek HD Audio is directly connected to the SUB of a 5.1 "computer-set" which then is connected to the separate speakers. There is no receiver. Why is it working fine in dshow and not i BASS?

thanks.

aal

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Hi Patric,

i have the Aureon 5.1 myself and don't have that problem.
awaiting on feedback from others.

regards,

Helmut

Helmut,

I have the same graph displayed in graphedit for either using BASS or dshow and also exactly as configured in MP. Using BASS: No audio over S/PDIF, using dshow: no problem !

AVI - > ffdshow video decoder -> video renderer
- > MPA decoder filter -> Default WaveOut device

Sound device is a SoundMAX digital integrated audio board.

- Alex

aal

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Patric, Marc, aal,

i was trying this on my htpc now and don't seem to have this problem.
i have BASS turned on and Dolby 5.1 and DTS is played without any problems.
Do you have any special settings, like AC3Filter, etc.

i don't see how the BASS audio engine should interfere. But 3 of you reported a problem there.

could you please use Graphedit and look at the filter that is being created, when you play the ac3 stream.
also a log pasted to http://pastebin.team-mediaportal.com would be fine.

thx,

Helmut

Helmut,

Just uploaded two logs file while playing an AC3 AVI using both BASS and DSHOW. Maybe this helps troubleshooting?

- Alex

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    activate Prologic II on your receiver and let the receiver do the job for you.

Sorry, maybe I was being unclear. My Realtek HD Audio is directly connected to the SUB of a 5.1 "computer-set" which then is connected to the separate speakers. There is no receiver. Why is it working fine in dshow and not i BASS?

thanks.

Ah ok, now i know what you mean.

Well i had the same issue with my Realtek HD before.
    But then i wanted to have a S/PDIF connection to my receiver, so i got a new soundcard.
    I don't know, why Directshow does work.

I already have a solution for the problem you described, however sometimes it kept MP crashing.
    As i was the only one having this issue i didn't it follow up anymore after moving to S/PDIF, where the problem is gone, cause now it is doing the receiver.

I'll have a look into the issue.
    But i'm away on a business trip for a week now and then busy to follow up the work i'll take with me from the trip.
    so don't expect anything within the next 3-4 weeks.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Patric,

i have the Aureon 5.1 myself and don't have that problem.
    awaiting on feedback from others.

regards,

Helmut

Helmut,

I have the same graph displayed in graphedit for either using BASS or dshow and also exactly as configured in MP. Using BASS: No audio over S/PDIF, using dshow: no problem !

AVI - > ffdshow video decoder -> video renderer
    - > MPA decoder filter -> Default WaveOut device

Sound device is a SoundMAX digital integrated audio board.

- Alex

Alex,

i'll have a look at it, but i'm busy the next weeks, so please be patient.

regards,

Helmut

sebrock

September 14, 2006
    Thank you!

I have some more information, but I don't know if it is related to the same problem or not. But it might.

When looking at Live-TV without having timeshift on I also only get stereo, with timeshift I get it out from all speakers (although not in real 5.1 as the signal is only stereo). I have read something about this and it was said to be something with AC3. This happens with both BASS and dshow, but as I said it could be a different problem. Maybe this can give you a clue.

Thanks again

Thank again

YYota

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2005
    I'm having the same problem when selecting the BASS engine, I can notice 2 differences:

- ac3 and dts through spdif don't work anymore, the receiver won't switch.

- with fdshow, I can't hear most gui sound effects, as if the receiver didn't detect that something was playing fast enough (I have the same thing when playing a song, I miss the first few tenths of a second), but with BASS selected, I can hear all GUI sound effects as soon as they take place, songs play fine right from the start.

So it seems that selecting BASS affects both video playing and general UI sounds as well.

I hope this helps, my soundcard is a Trust 5.1 used in spdif, it has a c-media processor.

Thanks for your hard work!
    YYota

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Patric, Marc, Alex, YYota,

was able to reproduce the stuff now on my side.

it is the ffdshow filter which is causing the problem.
    When you install ffdshow and look at the "audio decoder configuration", then AC3 has liba52 as default decoder.

So playing an file with AC3 sound works fine.
    Changing it from liba52 to S/PDIF i have exactly the same problem as all of you described.

OK, now we know, where it comes from, but i have no idea why ffdshow and BASS interfere and how to correct that.
    I must admit that i haven't used ffdshow before.
    Maybe someone of you can figure out a configuration of ffdshow, that works together with BASS.
    Maybe the default decoder liba52 is sufficient for you anyhow.

I'm offline now for a week, let's look at it afterwards.

regards,

Helmut

Patric

Portal Pro
    August 27, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well just some more infos for later:

I deinstalled ffdshow completly to test Helmuts experience.
    But still the same problem occured when choosing the BASS engine for music playback.

So I took another look at the graph used when playing a video containing an AC3 audio stream. This time there are the "InterVideo MPEG4 Video Decoder" and the "MPA Decoder Filter" inserted.
    But why??? I can understand that the IV video decoder was chosen because of the video stream being XviD encoded but what about the audio part?

So I ran some tests with ZoomPlayer switching it to standard media playback for building automated graphs (the way MP does it, I think). And there I found something interesting: The simple XviD PCM audio file renderd chain includes the MPA decoder and then the AC3-Filter. But the XviD file with AC3 audio chain si rendered only with the MPA because it tries to pass through the audio stream as PCM stereo.

I then checked the merits of those two audio filters and found out that the merit of the MPA is 40000001 and of the AC3-Filter is 40000000. I also lowered the InterVideo's merit so that always the XviD video decoder should be used.

After a restart the graph was built as expected with XviD video decoder and AC3-Filter for the XviD/AC3-files. But still no sound. That makes me think that the BASS engine itself makes trouble in the whole DirectShow playback when loaded with MP. That corresponds to the previously mentioned situation where ZoomPlayer wont output any sound of those files when MP (with BASS engine enabled) runs in background.

For visualization here are some screenshots from ZP:

XviD+PCM - automated graph:
    Auto_graph_-_Xvid_file_with_PCM_stereo.gif

XviD+AC3 - automated graph:
    Auto_graph_-_Xvid_file_with_AC3.gif

XviD AC3 - custom graph:
    Custom_graph_-_Xvid_file_with_AC3.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom