New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed | Page 16

Discussion in 'Listen Music' started by SteveV, July 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombiepig

zombiepig Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    orencha - i don't know a lot about dts files, but wouldn't it be possible to convert them to a multichannel-lossless file format? i'm pretty sure flac supports multichannel... (although correct playback might be hard to setup)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zag2me

zag2me Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    The standard for keeping DTS and AC3 Rips in lossless format has always been FLAC files. Convert them to this format and you should have no problems reading any of the tags.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

4. orencha

orencha Portal Pro

Software Developer & IT Expert
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Israel Israel
    The only way for me to play AC3/DTS losslessly is SPDIF pass-thru (this is what I do in MP). This also gives the best possible quality, if other options were available.

I don't understand the Idea of storing this data in FLAC, because:

1. The multi-channel FLAC file will be bigger in size (lossless FLAC vs lossy AC3/DTS).
    2. The only way to listen to multichannel FLAC later will be (for me) to re-encode (possibly, on-the-fly with ffdshow) to AC3. This LOSSY-->LOSSLESS-->LOSSY procedure doesn't make any sense for me...
    3. My AC3/DTS files are already working AS-IS. I don't see any reason converting them, just for tags support...

The only conversion that does make sense, Is to encapsulate (not convert or recompress) the original DTS/AC3 streams into some kind of container format that supports both DTS/AC3 and tags.

The only container format I'm aware of at the moment, is WAV. However, tags support in WAV is very limited, and not supported by MP at all at the moment.

If anyone knows a different container format that can hold AC3/DTS streams, can hold tags, and supported by MP - please let me know ;-)

If not - I return to the point where I began - there should be an option to store tags in a separate file.

5. zombiepig

zombiepig Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    good points - i forgot dts was lossy :oops:

what about matroska as a container? mka supports dts compression, but i have no idea if mp can read tags from mka files.

6. orencha

orencha Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Israel Israel
    The documentation says that mka DOES support both DTS and Tags; However, from my experience, MKA tags are complex, and not (yet) supported by MP.

Most people use AC3/DTS formats just as part of a Video+Audio container, so I beleive those formats will keep being "the black sheep" when it comes to Music.

One additional idea that just came up: Technically, do you think it's possible to just append a 128-byte file (with ID3v1 information) to the end of a DTS file? Can the grabber have an option to look for such tags in DTS/AC3 files? I know it would produce a non-standard file, but I think it can work. Those additional 128 bytes should not harm the receiver, I think...

Anyway, I still think that XML or other text-based formats holding Tags, is not a bad idea after all. Even for file formats that DO support tags! XML is so powerful and so easy to use...

7. zombiepig

zombiepig Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    i don't disagree with that... just trying to see if there's a way of doing it now without waiting for code changes :p

8. garion

garion Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Hi SteveV

Did a test with 33000 mp3 and ogg.
    All looks in order.

Very nice work /bow

Garion

9. piranha
    • Premium Supporter

piranha MP Donator

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Just ran the tests with .29 version and yes, the speed on regular files is quite good, but if files are bigger in size (have lots of files around 100 mb and so), that slows it down.
    Also having some error reading tag messages and there were several problems with covers detected.
    Overall good job!

Smaller files:
    9/12/2006 9:05:43 PM Retrieved 2367 tags in 00:02:34.734 (0.065 seconds per track)
    Bigger files:
    9/12/2006 7:07:05 PM Retrieved 199 tags in 00:00:43.296 (0.218 seconds per track)

Not sure what the yellow exclamation mark means. Had plenty of them.

10. orencha

orencha Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Israel Israel
    Just tested 0.29 with 2000+ MP3, FLAC and DTS files.
    All tags are detected OK... Only tagless files produce errors (Perhaps the filename can then be used as fallback?)

P.S: many of the tested files (MP3 and FLAC) had Hebrew name tags, and I saw no problem with the new tag reader (which is one great improvement over the existing tag reader, which doesn't like non-English tags).

11. SteveV
    • Premium Supporter

SteveV Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm, that is considerably slower. What kind of files (mp3, wma, ogg, ape, etc) are they?

Regarding the yellow exclamation; it means that some of the basic fields (artist, album, track, duration, etc) were missing. I'ts not a critical error but I thought it would be nice to be able to flag files that were missing what I'd consider the minimum requied info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!