New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed | Page 14

Discussion in 'Listen Music' started by SteveV, July 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _man_

_man_ Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,

I'm very happy to see a new music tag reader getting developped !
    My codec of choice being WavPack I was using Meedio so far, but considering this plugin I will probably move to MediaPortal soon.

So I made a quick test last night on approx. 200 *.wv files, and it worked like a charm ! Thanx SteveV for your work !

I will try again and revert back as soon as I can with my main music Back-up, propely tagged in APEV2 with foobar.

I got one remark thought : the new music tag reader imported perfectly all "standard tags" such like %title%, %artist%, etc.
    However, foobar and APEv2 tags allow each user to create "personal tags", such like (in my case) %DiscID%, %originalartist%, %rippedby%, etc.
    Is there any chance the new MediaPortal tag reader would import those tags as well in the music library ?

My *guess* about this issue (not sure) : EAC tagged the generated FLAC files in ID3v1 format, and then foobar converted them in ogg tag format.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Molokoids

Molokoids Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes with .28. No improvements but I have only 12 files that are problematic :)
    Email sent.
    Thanks !

4. SteveV
    • Premium Supporter

SteveV Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D

5. SteveV
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Missing synchronized lyrics

Please send me a couple of the affected files. I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks -- Steve

6. SteveV
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unlikely. Importing tag fields of unknown meaning, type, and quantity into the database presents a bit of a problem. The bigger problem is telling MP what these user defined fields are how to display them.

Steve

7. SteveV
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I received the files and will have a look at them.

Thanks -- Steve

8. zombiepig

zombiepig Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    one way i can think of doing this (and it's early so forgive me if i haven't thought this through well :wink: )

a table could be created called something like 'customtags', with fields id, songid, tagname, tagvalue. every tag the reader finds which doesn't fit into the common ones (and it probably should ignore tags like 'comments'), it would enter into this table.
    then, in the music views section in config, the 'selection' dropdown would have any unique 'tagname's from the customtags table listed (in addition to the ones there at the moment).
    this way, if he had .... say... 'conductor' as a custom tag in some of his files, he could select 'conductor' from the selection dropdown in music views, and create his own views based on this. it could end up being a really powerful way of letting people view their music collection in EXACTLY the way they want!!
    what's your thoughts?

9. zombiepig

zombiepig Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    actually - the more i think of this the more powerful i realize it would be!
    it would open the way for basically infinite ways of customizing the music views.

something i've wanted for a while was a 'sub-genre' selection. so i could choose a genre of reggae, then pick between 'dub', 'dancehall', etc...
    if i tagged my songs with a 'sub-genre' tag, then this would be possible! and with the same feature, classical music lovers could sort their music by 'third-violinist-from-the-left' if they really wanted :roll:

10. zombiepig

zombiepig Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    steve - just letting you know, i ran that latest version through my main collection and it scanned all the files fine! thanks for the changes... saves me a bit of work retagging them :)

i've been thinking more throughout the day and i'm totally in love with the idea of custom tags. it'd be awesome to be able to categorise my music by a whole string of things, like mood, tempo, even record label! add to that the option to have multiple values in a delimated list and the possibilities are infinite :D

11. rtv
    • Premium Supporter

rtv Retired Team Member

CTO at ES2000
    Ratings:
    +301 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Why?
    my comments tag is always filled with the review of allmusic.com - I'd even like to have an info page for it :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!