New range of AMD energy efficient CPUs just released (1 Viewer)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    If you need it ONLY for HTPC use I don't see any point in going beyond dual-core anyways, but soon the Athlon II X4 will be is as cheap as the current 45W TDP Athlon X2's, and then everybody will buy quad-core. If you need it for gaming I would shell out the extra cash on the Phenom for sure.

Actually ffdshow multicore builds are taking advantage of those additional cores. I don't know how stable that ffdshow version is.

but what does that actually mean in terms of media playback?

Just because it utilises 4 cores does that necessarily mean any improvement in picture quality?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just because it utilises 4 cores does that necessarily mean any improvement in picture quality?

You can use more options for the scaling, post processing, frame interpolation etc. But thats only if you are interested in ffdshow.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Athlon II x2 235e

For anyone interested in these energy efficient parts:

I have recently installed an Athlon II x2 235e (2.7GHz) as a replacement for the 4850e. It is running well for full HD TV (1080i). No post-processing has been applied as I think the PQ is fine as is.

It was detected by the motherboard (BIOS rev F4) and Win 7 straight up, so messing around with updates was not required.

I am using the stock cooler with PWM fan control enabled in the BIOS. It is very quiet. Very happy for a sub-AU$90 CPU with the features it has on offer :)

MLH01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom