New system/setup nightmare (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    A note: I was still re-installing drivers in the meantime + had to move the system back and forth since I was connected over RDP and that doesn't give correct DX info (also have removed VNC because of display/hook driver)

So now system is back in place, that screenshot was after DX & vga driver were reinstalled.
    Because I didn't change anything to the config, I get a 'no free card available' message; is this because the IP card has higher priority?
    (I'm very careful to change anything without consulting)

EDIT: 'no free card available' message was because of channels not being mapped yet.
    EDIT2: seems like still the same problem -> lockup
    EDIT 3: mm, no problem to reinstall, this HAS to be solved asap, no matter what. So your suggestions are more then welcome. Gotta go to bed now, have a lack of sleep and I saw that we are on a 12h time difference so go figure.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So to confirm: MP starts okay now, but you are back to the original problem with lockups? If so, could you please provide fresh logs.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Well, starting 'kinda': freezes now on splash screen 'Loading window plugins...'
    Here they come!

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Anyone, any suggestions?
    Are there right/wrong/different ways to install MP from what I have done?

:mad: :( :mad:

EDIT: is there a way to know whether it's the client or server part and does it show from the logs?
    I get the same behavior with another system which is a pure MP client.

EDIT 2: is there a link between the 'Loading window plugins...' message and the MP server?
    Tried on a 2nd MP client and both clients freeze when starting up.
    Is it normal that the splashscreen app is not responding while mediaportal is running in task manager?

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Nobody?
    Are my logs not ok/revealing something?
    Could the fact that I don't select 'One click install' have an impact?

A few hours ago, I removed everything and only installed the server part. Now, I can watch live tv and record from a client - which clearly doesn't suffer from lockups anymore.
    The only issue that I had was a complete system freeze when testing the channels from within the server config utility.
    Don't know if this is related to my initial problem or not.

Can anyone point me to a solution please or answer my questions so I can isolate the cause myself if possible?
    TIA!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Peter2

It is not always possible for us to respond to threads within 24 hours. Remember that we have full time jobs as well! ;)
    The answer to your question is "no" - your logs are not revealing. They tell me that the OS thinks that MP hung at 04:40:

10/01/2012 4:40;Application Hang;-101;Error;The program MediaPortal.exe version 1.2.2.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: 18c Start Time: 01cccf494a6a9c72 Termination Time: 0 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe Report Id: ;1002;

...however when you restarted MP at 4:43 it blew the old logs away so I can't see what happened with that run. Did MP actually hang that time, and were you running with plugins disabled or enabled?

Could the fact that I don't select 'One click install' have an impact?
    Unlikely. More likely to be a plugin or something. Have you installed any plugins?

mm

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hey again, :)

Sorry, I didn't want to pressurize you in any way!
    It's so frustrating, having searched/try for days and having to disturb others to get this solved.
    On top of that, the system has become so important and much used that being without it, well you know...

Damn, thought my logs would be useful; both were produced while the system was freezing when opening live tv though.
    Like I wrote, I had to move the system back and forth because I was connected remote to it and wanted to exclude RDP/VNC as a possible reason and had to for the directx info. Near my desktop I don't have a tv signal.

No, i have not insalled any additional plugins yet, only had xmltv activated to have a tv guide.
    What do you suggest now and what about my other problem descriptions?

TBacker

Portal Member
    June 23, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Not sure if it helps, but...

I have been using MP on Windows XP. I decided to try XBMC on the same machine with Windows 7.

I wiped the drive, loaded Windows 7 Ultimate and installed all Microsoft updates to current. Then I loaded XBMC (the same version I had tested on my desktop machine) and immediately had problems with it hesitating and completely freezing at random, unrelated, places. It had run fine on my desktop. It would always freeze within the first 5-10 minutes of use. Windows continued to run fine underneath, but I had to use task manager to kill XBMC.

I decided to reload Windows 7 again, with the same result.

I then decided to uninstall XBMC and go back to MP on the same Windows 7 installation. Guess what - MP did the same thing!

I'm thinking there is an issue with Windows 7 or a recent patch.

My next step is to reload Windows 7 and video drivers without patches and see what happens. Ugh!

Fortunately I imaged my MediaPortal XP installation, so I do have a safe way to get back to normal when I start feeling like throwing things...

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A few hours ago, I removed everything and only installed the server part. Now, I can watch live tv and record from a client - which clearly doesn't suffer from lockups anymore.
    The only issue that I had was a complete system freeze when testing the channels from within the server config utility.
    Don't know if this is related to my initial problem or not.

Testing channels hammers things a bit more than normal usage. It is more likely to expose a problem.

There has been one report of a user having stability issues, and this was tracked down to a BIOS setting to optimise performance (which warned of possible stability issues). Have you overclocked or anything like that? Could be a problem with TV card drivers, graphics card drivers? I really don't know.

I would be inclined to reset al BIOS settings to their defaults, see if that helps. Failing that a clean install of Windows. Not ideal, but there is no reason why MP cannot be stable. I hardly ever reboot my server.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom