New to HTPCs here (1 Viewer)

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Country flag
Ah ok, still new to all of this. I have installed MP2 now though and it seems to be started up fine but nowhere near the same amount of customisation (on first glances).

I think I will uninstall MP2, reinstall MP1, and take it a lot slower. At first I just jumped into it installed all the extensions that I thought I would use.

Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1451313727][/DOUBLEPOST]But now I am thinking, if MP2 is the new MP, would it not be better to stick with MP2?

Or is MP1 likely to stay active for a very long time?

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Country flag
    But now I am thinking, if MP2 is the new MP, would it not be better to stick with MP2?
    In the fullness of time, MP2 will be the best thing since sliced wholemeal bread. But is it there yet? Perhaps not quite (although opinions vary).

If your MP2 installation works, why not use it for a few days to see how you like it, and identify capabilities which it lacks and which you regard as important.

Or is MP1 likely to stay active for a very long time?
    I think that the answer to this is probably "yes". The indicator that it is time to move to MP2 will be when there are no more developers working on MP1. I believe that at present there are more developers working on MP1 than there are working on MP2 (but I could be wrong).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Country flag
    I think that's the best way forward. It's installed, and working as a base software so will expand on that and see if it fits my needs. Else I can always go back and try MP1.

Thanks, once again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Make sure that you have installed the recent weekly build from November, which brought a series of bug corrections for the Update 1 edition.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Country flag
    Oh it is the latest version.

My TV Series files, does it make a difference if I have each series in their own "Season 01" folder, or should I have all of the episodes collectively in only one Parent folder?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Hi.
    does it make a difference if I have each series in their own "Season 01" folder, or should I have all of the episodes collectively in only one Parent folder?
    You can have season folders if you want but must not have them. Both is working. Much more important is the series folder name. At least if you don't use .nfo files (similar to Kodi) or Matroska Metatags. If none of them exists the series is identified only on the folder name. For this it should be named as close to the series name on TVDB as possible... Episodes should have something like s01e01 in the file name and specials have to be sorted as season 00...

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Country flag
    That makes sense. I do not have .nfo files, so I will put all of the files collectively under one Parent folder.

Will MP distinguish between different seasons? How will it display the TV Series?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Will MP distinguish between different seasons?
    That's up to you. I prefer to have separate season views but you can do whatever you like:

How will it display the TV Series?
    This also is up to you. I only can show how it is looking here on my system:
    (sorry, but all metadata is in German language) Here the series view:

zwischenablage-4-jpg.171567

The season view is not that spectacular:
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg
    Those are both grid view styles

And here the episodes view (in list view style):
    zwischenablage-2-jpg.173054

This can be set very individual with different views (list, grid, cover view) for each level, different skins and a lot of different themes. The screenshots above are from my personal setup with Blue Vision Skin and Cloudy theme which is done by me and available for download here in the forum...

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Country flag
    That's been a wonderful help, thank you very kindly! :)

Users who are viewing this thread