Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you also don't want to use Matroska Tags or .nfo files for movies then the best is to add the IMDB-ID (aka "tt number") somewhere in the file name. This will lead to an 100% match. An example:
    "Avatar_[tt0499549].mp4"
    This file will be 100% recognized as the Movie Avatar from 2009....

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Lehmden, thank you so much!!

So if I have the folder Avatar containing other details, example "Avatar DTS 1080p", as long as the filename is "Avatar_[tt0499549].mkv" then all will be fine?[DOUBLEPOST=1451389414][/DOUBLEPOST]So I don't have to do anything from the MovieDB, like with the Tv series?[DOUBLEPOST=1451390280][/DOUBLEPOST]I have changed my mind, I think I'm going to use .nfo files for my movies, my movies are arranged the way I like them and my OCD will not allow me to change them. So I think the next best option is to use .nfo files.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    then all will be fine?
    Yes. You even can add those details in the file name too, if you like. As long as the tt number is there, all is fine...

Example: "Avatar DTS 1080p AVC h264 7.1 CC [tt0499549].mkv" also is working. Even "foo[tt0499549].mkv" did the trick. The "rest" of the file- name and path is ignored as long as there is a tt number available...

So I don't have to do anything from the MovieDB, like with the Tv series?
    All metadata and fanart used inside MP2 is downloaded from TheMovieDB (as IMDB did not offer fanart or localized metadata most of the time). But for a 100% secure identification the IMDB- ID is enough, even when using TheMovieDB as metadata source like MP2 did...

It can be difficult if the movie did not have a tt number but still is listed on TMDB. I have a few of them and for those it's close to necessary to use .nfo files for a 100% match rate...

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Lehmden, thank you! :) :)

I am now reading up on using .nfo files. Is there any way I can create them automatically using a software?
    Firstly it doesn't seem so simple, and secondly hopefully it will save a lot of time.[DOUBLEPOST=1451391333][/DOUBLEPOST]Will software such as Media Companion, Media Center or Ember produce MP2 compatible .nfo files?

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Is there any way I can create them automatically using a software?
    There are lot of tools out there that can generate .nfo files. As Example tinyMediamanager or Ember.

I'm using my own Program for this and other purposes called MKV Buddy (Link in my signature). MKV-Buddy can add fanart and .nfo files to nearly any type of video, it can transcode videos to h264 or h265 and/or remux them to mkv. It also will tag your Matroska Videos properly. It can remove unnecessary audio and/or subtitle tracks to gain even more disk space, it can generate cover and fanart from video stills (useful if there is nothing available online) can tag and rename 3D Matroska files properly and it can fix damaged MKV videos (not all damaged files can be fixed of course). And the best is, it offers wizards to prepare a whole bunch of videos with a single mouse click. The wizard decides if a video is too big and should be recoded, if it has too much audio or subtitle tracks and removes the unneeded ones, add cover and fanart and .nfo to the video and rename the output file to your pattern.. All this without any user interaction and a single mouse click. But you will have to learn how to configure it to your needs. It has a lot of options to set. Once you've set up anything as you need it, the "real work" is completely easy...

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    I have just finished downloading tinyMediaManager and will work with that. The MKV Buddy is designed mainly for MKVs? A lot of my movies are in MP4 format, and I do not wish to start making MKV files for all of those MP4 formats.

I will see how I get on with tinyMediaManager. Thank you.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The MKV Buddy is designed mainly for MKVs?
    It is. But many functions including nfo creation is not bound to MKV. You even can transcode to mp4 if you want. But sadly mp4 is way less flexible as MKV so there are lot less possibilities when sticking on mp4

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok, well that was easy enough to convince me!
    Will download MKV Buddy and see how I get on, thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1451393323][/DOUBLEPOST]I just read in your link that it is not compatible with Windows 10, I currently only have windows 10?

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    When I go to TV, they all up as "Series", seperate banners etc.

When I go to Movies, I get categorisation and then I have to go into whichever older to reveal films, I can't seem to find a way to stop that automatic categorisation.

I created an .nfo file for "A Bug's Life", but did not create one for any other movie, yet A Bug's Life shows up exactly the same as any other movie, why so?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I go to Movies, I get categorisation and then I have to go into whichever older to reveal films, I can't seem to find a way to stop that automatic categorisation.
    This you can set to your wishes the same way as in series. You can choose which filter to use in the menu. Where you can find this is depending on the skin you're using. On BlueVision and all themes of it this can be found on the top left.
    There you can choose "Filter by Name" and the view changes instantly to a list of all your movies without any genre separation...
    zwischenablage-2-jpg.172885

Here it is this logo:
    menu.png

that it is not compatible with Windows 10
    Normally all is working on Win10. But as long as the supporting tools are not 100% compatible I can't guarantee it for MKV-Buddy. Some really strange issues on very few systems are related to Win10, but most of the Win10 users don't have any issues at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom