New toy: Asrock ION 330 (1 Viewer)

horsewith

June 1, 2010
Home Country
If I have Coreavc installed, then install SAF400, it will completely fail to play the videos. I am trying to keep this as basic as possible, without changing any installation settings. Is there a way to force Coreavc to be used - the icon is not appearing.

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
October 11, 2007
That didnt really answer my question, what codecs have you tried. Have you tried microsofts and if so to what result?
I noticed that you have 64-bit win7, maybe theres a special core-avc version for that if you don't already have it?

horsewith

June 1, 2010
Home Country
How do I select which codecs to use?

I thought it was all done under MP Configuration > Codecs & Renderer > Video Codecs, and that's how I selected the decoder.

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
October 11, 2007
And you are right, but have you tried chosing something else than CoreAVC? And then tried to play a video?
I use Microsoft codec and it works perfectly.
I also have CoreAVC but think its a bit sketchy.

Attachments

• Codec.png
    Codec.png
    27.5 KB

horsewith

June 1, 2010
Home Country
I'm installing Windows 7 32-bit now. I will try the Microsoft Codecs. Thankyou for your recommendations.

What kind of CPU utilisation are you running? Also - do the Microsoft Codecs use the GPU for x264?

ravenrocks! thankyou so much. it appears to now be working. CPU usage is fluctuating between 30%-90%. Everything is running a lot smoother.

I installed the coreavc codec, but am using Microsoft DTV-DVD codec. I'm pretty happy with this! Time to import the rest of my movies.

OK! I think we are slowly starting to get into business.

After switching from Microsoft DTV-DVD to Coreavc my CPU utilisation is now 10-30% when playing 1080p content! This is good news.

It does seem to buckle a bit under StreamedMP though (traversing through menus)

So far here are my steps -

1. Install Windows 7 x86
2. Install Media Player RC4
3. Install Moving Pictures & TVShows
4. Install CoreAVC
i. Tested using Windows plugins. Worked OK but high CPU utilisation. After fast forward, fine.
ii. Test using CoreAVC as selected plugin. Low CPU utilisation. After fast forward, picture can sometimes be choppy under heavy testing (lots of moving around in menus)
iii. StreamedMP - not that fast. Great UI, but a lot of slowness traversing through menus.

I can only assume that my problem from the start was going x64. Now that I'm going x86, using Coreavc, there is hardly ANY CPU load.

For some reason StreamedMP runs absolute shit house. Menu's are laggy. And I hate the predefined pictures.

Also, I'm finding some 1080p rips are better quality than others? I.e. The blacks are better on some than they are on others. Quite bizarre.

gurabli

Portal Pro
July 20, 2010
Home Country
Hungary Hungary
Hi!

I am thinking about buying an ION 330 system to use it with MediaPortal. I have spent tens of hours reading about different reviews but I am still confused. I want to have one system only, so no server.

For what I am planning to use:

HD and SD playback (1080i and p, 720p, SD DVD, divx/xvid)
DVB-C live tv and recording
utorrent running and downloading at 4MB/sec and seeding at 3MB/sec continuously 7/24

Is this system (dual core atom 330 + ION) enough for this?
I will have a 1,5 TB WD 7200 HDD inside and 2 GB DDR2, and USB DVB-C tuner.

What can I expect from MP on this system, using StreamedMP with TV series and Moving Pictures? Is the system responsive or very slow and laggy?

How much cpu utilization should running utorrent with the speeds mentioned produce?

Thank you!

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    can somebody tell me the best codec setup for this box?

do you use SAF or only the Microsoft codecs?

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2007
    I got some weird issues on mine, the sound in tv-plugin work fine and even though I have the exact same codec-setup for video, I get no sound in tv-series or moving pictures...any ideas?

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    I'm having problems playing back HD video files.

I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3610, which uses the same processor and 2GB of RAM.
    I can view 1080p flash files encoded as H.264 MP4 without a problem, but if I try to play a WMV HD file, it stutters.

I'm concerned that if I try to play recorded HD TV (UK - so DVBT2), it won't work. I <think> DVB-T2 uses H.264 compression.

Any comments? Anyone in the UK tried this?

mummybot

January 28, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've been using an ION box with mediaportal for the last 9 months, and I have just got 1080p h264 working well.

My setup:

powerdvd 8 with some updates.
    latest nvidia drivers.
    mediaportal 1.1.1
    vista x64
    pov ion 330 @ 2ghz (pci version)
    nova-t 500
    4Gig Ram

With this setup I was dropping between 5-10 frames per second. Upgrading from 2 Gigs of ram was the single greatest improvement. Then i overclocked the atom CPU to 2Ghz. The Box drops ~1 frame a minute now. Overclocking the GPU made no difference.

Hope that helps someone,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom