Newbie Needs a Remote (1 Viewer)

poincare

Portal Member
April 7, 2013
Washington DC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

I've been using MP 1.x (now 1.3) for a few months and like it overall. I've been using my keyboard and mouse but would like to switch to a decent remote. I'm a total n00b and have tried to find decent remotes that would match with the MP Config Tool, remotes such as an MCE one, Sceneo, X10, Hauppauge, and IRTrans. I have also tried to make sense of IRSS and EventGhost and things like that. None really seem friendly for a total idiot like myself.

Really, what is best is something with power (can wake HTPC from sleep and power it complete on, if needed), IR vs. RF (??), change channels/volume/info/etc., doesn't cost a lot (trying to stay under $50).

I'm thinking about one of these:

Rosewill RRC 126
FIRST CHOICE

Rosewill RHRC-11001
SECOND CHOICE

Media Gate Windows Vista MCE Remote
THIRD CHOICE

I don't really have a preference, as I said, I'm a total idiot and really just want to get away from having to use my keyboard and mouse every time I want to use MP v1.3.

Any comments? Thanks!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As long as it uses the standard MCE remote drivers any MCE clone should work out of the box with MediaPortal. You don't need eventghost or IRSS or anything else if you get a proper MCE clone, you just tick 1x box in Mediaportal configuration and it will just work.

Any remote should be able to wake HTPC from S3 Sleep mode.

To wake the computer from cold power off, you need an IR receiver that is piggy back wired into the cases power control switch.

Last edited:

poincare

Portal Member
    April 7, 2013
    Washington DC
    Home Country
    Right, But of the three I listed, how can I tell if it's a true MCE clone that would work right out of the box with the MediaPortal and my config? Just from reading the specs they look like so, but I'm still learning about MP and actually never used a PC with a remote before so as hope not to gimp my first purchase....

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    untrue clones work out of the box too :) my clone is made by HP and I got it from ebay.

a true clone would be made by microsoft and it is able to learn the IR signal for vol+/vol-/pwr_tv ; they are very rare and hard to find.

I've never tried any of the remotes you listed, but the amazon one has lots of possible reviews and the receiver looks reliable.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Just to add to what kiwijunglist wrote - I have three MCE type remotes, all off eBay, none cost more than £15 ($23 US) and the key point for me was to use "RC6" in the search terms, and compatibility. They work out of the box, no hassle or difficult configuration - even the GF manages OK.

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    bought one off amazon other day that I regret, luckily was only 15$ shipped.
    vrc-1100
    cannot get some stuff mapped even trying intelliremote.
    however the mouse pad on it works which helps.
    was looking at a HP one but don't see mousepad on it.
    sigh...

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    could someone do me a huge favor and link me to a few remotes that work w/o added programs needed?
    would like a remote that allows mouse movement too if possible.

poincare

Portal Member
    April 7, 2013
    Washington DC
    Home Country
    I went with "second choice" and it has been working out of the box no problem. I am using Windows 8 64bit.

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    the Rosewill RHRC-11001?
    I will take a close look at that, thank you
    does that also control cursor movement like a mouse like the vrc-1100 does?
    I would like to keep that capability but its secondary to the buttons actually working LOL

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom