Newbie needs help (1 Viewer)

Beitie

July 20, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Okay, so I've been using Windows Media Center for the last 3 years and I loved it. It automatically downloaded my guide info, auto woke up and put to sleep my PC when recording, everything about it was perfect. Now it seems that the guide is no longer supported and I NEED a new product to replace Windows Media Center. This looks like a fair replacement, but I gotta be honest here, I'm not happy so far. I've been fussing with this for about 3 hours now. It's obvious that the set up guides provided are not even close to sufficient.

1) I'm using this PC on a Home Theater set up. 50" LG HDTV, Pioneer Elite VSX-50 receiver, running 5.1 surround sound.

2) I finally figured out how to get the card to scan for channels, and the previews work.

3) No idea how to get guide info, and I want it downloaded off the internet, not just scan every 2 hours.

4) Media Portal itself will NOT play my TV channels. Every time I try to tune one in, I get some goofy error and nothing shows up. What's the deal here?

My Windows Media Center was sooooo ideal, and I'm really pissed that I'm being forced to switch. I only have till tomorrow to figure this crap out too. Ugh my life!

Beitie

July 20, 2015
Home Country
Anyone? All I want this to do is record live TV, download a guide about once a day, and record my TV shows as scheduled. This should be easy, right?

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Log files from the server and client would go a long way to helping
    Also, did you follow the requirments needed for MP2?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_..._Installing_MediaPortal_2#System_Requirements

EDIT:
    What are you using to get the schedules once the channels are all imported
    To use Schedules Direct you can go here, download the zip file and following the instructions.
    You will also need to create a schedules direct account (Also in the U.S. This is what I use)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/a-couple-mp2-questions.131324/#post-1144149

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello and welcome,

Nice introduction when you post for the first time and then complain - 18 min later - that you don't get an answer.

But seriously, MP2 may not be the product to start with. Uninstall and use MP1 instead, which is explained in very detail in the Wiki. If you still experience problems, please uploadf full logs by using the WatchDog, for which you all we an icvon on your desktop.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    My Windows Media Center was sooooo ideal, and I'm really pissed that I'm being forced to switch. I only have till tomorrow to figure this crap out too. Ugh my life!
    Well THIS is your problem. If you look for a "works right out of the box like WMC " stay with WMC. They are just ending the support and don't let you use it in Win 10. So what? Stay with 7 or 8 and you're fine for the next 5 years.
    If you want to switch, READ. Most of the WIKI is still valid and you can always ask SPECIFIC questions here. But to say " that whole thing sucks " might not be the best entrée.

Sorry, looks like I'm a little late, LOL.

Beitie

July 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Again, I'm a total newbie here. I know hardware just fine, software is not my area of expertise. I'm running Windows 7 (32 Bit) with all the latest updates on an intel i5 3570K CPU, Asus MB. I should easily meet the requirements.[DOUBLEPOST=1437428863][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well THIS is your problem. If you look for a "works right out of the box like WMC " stay with WMC. They are just ending the support and don't let you use it in Win 10. So what? Stay with 7 or 8 and you're fine for the next 5 years.
    If you want to switch, READ. Most of the WIKI is still valid and you can always ask SPECIFIC questions here. But to say " that whole thing sucks " might not be the best entrée.

Sorry, looks like I'm a little late, LOL.
    Actually WMC is switching over it's EPG data provider, and everyone who uses OTA is having major data issues, thus I can't schedule any shows that I like to record. Sorry, WMC is pretty much no longer a valid option. I'll look into Media Portal 1[DOUBLEPOST=1437428918][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hello and welcome,

Nice introduction when you post for the first time and then complain - 18 min later - that you don't get an answer.

But seriously, MP2 may not be the product to start with. Uninstall and use MP1 instead, which is explained in very detail in the Wiki. If you still experience problems, please uploadf full logs by using the WatchDog, for which you all we an icvon on your desktop.
    Sadly it wasn't 18 min. It was 5 hours. 5 hours that I should have been sleeping since I work overnights. I'm sorry, but yeah, I'm a little steamed.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK it was 2 hours and 18 min... So what? This is not a hotline that you pay for, right? People answer when they have time

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    If you post some logs we might be able to help with the MP2 side.
    Also, take a moment to checkout the Schedules Direct plugin and their site. Works very well for us in the U.S.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Sadly it wasn't 18 min. It was 5 hours. 5 hours that I should have been sleeping since I work overnights. I'm sorry, but yeah, I'm a little steamed.
    I feel bad for you, really.
    But you should have slept over it and start with a usefull question in the morning. As you can see, others are pretty "steamed up" too.:whistle:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Personally, I am not steamed, I actually feel for you. If I had the time when you placed the first request (I was at work) I would have, but seeing where we are right now, lets just start over and see How We Might Help You.

btw: what is so important about needing something Tomorrow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom