Newbie needs help (1 Viewer)

Beitie

July 20, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Okay, so how do I post logs? Also, do I need a codec to get the TV side of things to play?

marc44

Portal Member
July 25, 2015
Home Country
Sorry Spachti MS MC is not getting the guide anymore since July 21 MS does not pay for the Guide and run out. That's the reason you will find more people (like me) looking for other solutions. MC is dead. Agree, he should not expect quick replies after all MP is ALL FREE. Gratefully for it Marc

marc44

Portal Member
July 25, 2015
Home Country
Hi Beitie
What you want is a Media Portal Light. It would go way back to the VCR times. No guide, no gimmick, just basic recording.
Look in the Sunday paper for the free weekly TV-Guide (does not exist anymore either), See the show in the guide you like to record eg Tuesday at 10:30 PM to 11 PM, Thursday 0900 PM to 10 PM.
Open MP(L) (Light), highlight the time, click "Record" and you are done with it. Maybe you can tell with a button to record a couple minutes sooner and later, that's it. VCR did that too, at least the one I had.
If there was a football game before your schedule you are scr #&*@$, they notoriously run over their time and you have to record the next 30 mins too otherwise you miss half the show.
Wait a minute!!, same happens in MP2 with OTA TV. It does not know that the game before run over the officially allotted time. Don't know if it will record correctly for cable.
KIS(S)
My dream program too, but, as always, very soon somebody wants this and that added onto it and before you know you are back at MP2.:)
Besides, I searched high and low on the Internet for something like that. I guess way to simple and not worth the time for somebody to write a simple trivial demeaning program like that. :confused: (Any 5 year old can do it). Hmmmmm Hmmmmmm, Hmmmmmm:)
Wonder how many people would download a """""simple""""" program like that and stick with it or switch over to the "RollsRoyce" MP2.
Thanks Marc

stimpyfuz

July 30, 2015
Home Country
Again, I'm a total newbie here. I know hardware just fine, software is not my area of expertise. I'm running Windows 7 (32 Bit) with all the latest updates on an intel i5 3570K CPU, Asus MB. I should easily meet the requirements.[DOUBLEPOST=1437428863][/DOUBLEPOST]
My Windows Media Center was sooooo ideal, and I'm really pissed that I'm being forced to switch. I only have till tomorrow to figure this crap out too. Ugh my life!
Well THIS is your problem. If you look for a "works right out of the box like WMC " stay with WMC. They are just ending the support and don't let you use it in Win 10. So what? Stay with 7 or 8 and you're fine for the next 5 years.
If you want to switch, READ. Most of the WIKI is still valid and you can always ask SPECIFIC questions here. But to say " that whole thing sucks " might not be the best entrée.

Sorry, looks like I'm a little late, LOL.
Actually WMC is switching over it's EPG data provider, and everyone who uses OTA is having major data issues, thus I can't schedule any shows that I like to record. Sorry, WMC is pretty much no longer a valid option. I'll look into Media Portal 1[DOUBLEPOST=1437428918][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hello and welcome,

Nice introduction when you post for the first time and then complain - 18 min later - that you don't get an answer.

But seriously, MP2 may not be the product to start with. Uninstall and use MP1 instead, which is explained in very detail in the Wiki. If you still experience problems, please uploadf full logs by using the WatchDog, for which you all we an icvon on your desktop.
Sadly it wasn't 18 min. It was 5 hours. 5 hours that I should have been sleeping since I work overnights. I'm sorry, but yeah, I'm a little steamed.

Had the same problem with WMC. Here is the solution, you need to go into TV setup and change your zipcode to one confirmed working on this site: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9003&sid=4f8ded0d7cb31c335b066db220bbe8cc . MS switched to Rovi for EPG and they dont have all the zipcodes working yet.

marc44

Portal Member
July 25, 2015
Home Country
stimpyfuz thanks for the link, I went there and went also to some of the sites they have links. I may try the Guide-tool software for MC, also free, someone posted. Yet since Win10 does not have MC anymore I probably will just forget MC because lets face it sooner then later everybody has to switch to 10.
Hmmmm, my wife still has a 95 computer and it still works perfectly fine. :)
Breitie I just found a software for 24 bucks that may solve all the problem for at least the OTA TV people (Easy HDTV DVR Enigma). Seems to be exactly doing what I described as a MP Light. 30 day free trial. It gets the guide even OTA but only if the station is broadcasting it. If not then look in your favorite TV-Guide what program you want to record and then you can click on (File Timer) and you tell it when and what time to record for each channel daily and/or weekly. Sorry, I don't want to advertise (I am not affiliated) but the program seems to be so simple and cheap and some of us may just look for that. Also, if your computer is not up to par with the specs for MP2 and hardware causes a problem then the cheap one may do it. Needs only a 1.5GHZ CPU. Don't know how long this software already exists and how I did not find it sooner.
Have a great day. Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom