Newbie to MePo - UK HD Channels - Missing Sound?

Discussion in 'General Support' started by CAPTAIN_CESSNA, February 22, 2013.

1. CAPTAIN_CESSNA

CAPTAIN_CESSNA Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Had my first evening with MePo last night after several years of using WMC. Overall, the experience was very positive! I've posted on AvForums, however I realise this may be a better place to ask, so I'll link to the thread >>>>HERE<<<<.

I would, however, like to add a further query that I forgot about, and I don't seem to be able to find the answer. Last night, watching the footy on ITV HD, everything was great until the adverts came on. Certain adverts didn't have any audio. I'm connected via TOSLink to an old (Not HD audio) DTS/DD receiver. The receiver reports no signal during the offending ads, which make me think they may be encoded in a format my receiver is unable to decode. I never had this problem in WMC. At present, I'm using the stock settings except I'm not using the BASS engine.

Do I need to set something to output the audio on these programmes as 2ch PCM? I'm using a xonar DGX so it isn't DD Live, so surround isn't really an option for me at this stage. Soon I'll be taking the HTPC to the caravan as well, which will be using audio over HDMI through the GT430 to a Samsung Series 6 TV. The audio card will be removed altogether. Will I still have this problem then?

Cheers!

Last edited: February 22, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Holzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Holzi Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,228 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I think the missing sound could be a codec problem. Which one are you using?
    Thanks!

4. CAPTAIN_CESSNA

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Home Country:
    Wow, that reply was amazingly quick! I don't know what I'm using (not at home atm), just that the audio engine is set to Windows defaut, not BASS and I haven't changed any codec settings (LAV default?)

Thanks!

5. Holzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Holzi Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,228 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Should be possible by activating the fanart handler plugin. It allows you to download Fanart/Backdrops from the artist which is now playing and cycles the pictures. Most of the skins support this feature.

Did you tag your Music files? (fill in titel, song name, year, genre etc..)
    1.jpg

What do you exactly mean with numbering? You can order channels by moving them in the TVServer Config (Drag & Drop should work) -> TV Channels

Should be enough. :)

You should disable IPv6 and do the same with Microsoft Security Essentials. Also exclude any MediaPortal stuff from AntiVirus software and other firewalls.

With nvidia I would use CUVID. If there are any problems you still can try DXVA2. :)
    Thanks!

Last edited: February 22, 2013
  6. Vasilich
    • Team MediaPortal

Vasilich Test Group

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,173 / 2
    Home Country:
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Show System Specs
    you can use FFDShow audio decoder that has an option to encode all possible combinations in DD 5.1 and send it via SPDIF to your receiver (this is how it works for me with my 12 years old DD/DTS receiver)

7. Holzi
    • Team MediaPortal

Holzi Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,228 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Audio Renderer set to "Default DirectShow Device" should be okay.

8. CAPTAIN_CESSNA

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Home Country:
    Thanks for the help, already it's great seeing there's such an active forum.

I know about the fanart handler, I have it installed and think it's great, it's the info box on the now playing screen that causes concern as it's static whilst the fanart cycles in the background. On 7MC, for example, they combat this by making the cover art and tag information swing from side to side. I'm using the Titan skin, by the way.

That's exactly the problem... My tags are good enough to recognise the song, but other than that they're very unprofessional. I'm sure I had a plugin for Avalon a while ago that populated detailed Artist/Album info from the internet and didn't just show tag content.

I mean channel numbers to punch in on the remote, i.e. 101 for BBC One, 102 BBC Two etc. I know they can be organised and numbered manually, but I was asking if it's possible to do it automatically from the Freesat Info channel, so the numbering and order can match a Freesat STB. I've seen there's a plugin to follow a Sky EPG/STB but nothing for Freesat and was wondering if it's possible.

I'm using Windows 8, which I know isn't officially supported at the moment, so I don't have an AV installed, just the built-in Windows Defender. I've made the necessary exceptions but haven't tried disabling IPv6 yet. I'll give this a go, though I think it may be more to do with how the TV Server deals with my TBS driver.

I'll give this a go. Thanks!

Will this work on any sound card? My card doesn't support DD Live or DTS Connect.

9. Vasilich
    • Team MediaPortal

Vasilich Test Group

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,173 / 2
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    yes, as it is software encoding (made by CPU).
    You can set it so that it use passthrough for formats that can go through SPDIF (actually mono/stereo PCM, DD and DTS only), and for all others use reencoding.

10. CAPTAIN_CESSNA

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Home Country:
    That's great, I'll give it a go. Does it put a lot of load on the CPU when encoding to DD? I have an i3 2100t.

11. Vasilich
    • Team MediaPortal

Vasilich Test Group

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,173 / 2
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    not much. I have old Atom 330, and it takes rough 5% of cpu, so you won't see it at all with your i3.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!