Newbie troubles - no live TV playback and missing tvguide.xml file (1 Viewer)

Jules Cantwell

Portal Member
October 23, 2014
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
I'm a long-time Windows Media Center user but had to give up on it as my BlackGold BGT3600 card has an obscure issue with dropping channels in WMC periodically and this issue will not be resolved.

So I'm a total newbie to Media Portal but love what I've seen so far, both in terms of the system offering, its extensibility and the active community. I had a go last night at setting it up and thought I had followed the wiki guides correctly but can't get TV to work even in the Server Settings Preview function. In MP I just get 'Uknown Error Occurred' when I try to launch any channel.

I'm in Dublin and using DVB-S2 card for UK freesat and DVB-T tuner for Irish digital terrestial - the channel scan works fine and picks up all the expected channels, I just can't get playback.

I think I messed up the EPG setup, had thought I'd followed instructions but think I may have installed the wrong xmltv component, though I had thought I had followed the wiki properly (must have missed something!), and amn't sure if this could explain TV not playing? It does seem I don't have a tvguide.xml file in the XMLTV folder and from the logs (attached) seems that's at least one issue.

I'm using 1.9.0 - if it would be best to do a clean reinstall and start again, please just let me know, would appreciate a link to make sure I'm following the right end-to-end guide to avoid mistakes.

I also saw mention of the DJBlu EPG plugin, would that help here (not sure how I'd get EPG for the Irish digital terrestial channels though).

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Jules! :)

I'll get straight to the point.
    It looks like TV Server is not able to start up successfully. The key error I'm seeing in your logs is this:
    [collapse]
    [2014-10-23 00:13:43,000] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TvControllerException: System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace
    at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
    at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
    at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
    at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DeviceDetector.Start()
    at TvService.TVController.InitController()
    at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
    at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
    at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
    at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DeviceDetector.Start()
    at TvService.TVController.InitController()[/collapse]

Scanning seems to have been possible despite the error... but not so with timeshifting.

To answer your questions...
    This is not an installation or configuration error, so no amount of reinstalling MediaPortal will solve it.
    This problem also has nothing to do with XMLTV or EPG.
    DJBlu's version would not help either.

Unfortunately although I know what won't help, I actually don't know how to solve the problem. This is not something I've seen before, and google searches are giving me esoteric results.

First, please try to reboot and see if that helps. I suspect it won't, but worth a shot anyway.
    The other thing I'd suggest (since I suspect some kind of .NET issue) is to download and run Microsoft's .NET fixer tool and see if that helps:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Regards,
    mm

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, could having MediaPortal installed alongside Windows MCE cause this, some kind of conflict on services calling on the tuners?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The problem has nothing to do with tuners.
    Something related to WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) is not working properly.

[edit: To be clear, the problem has nothing to do with WMC either.]

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    i have seen it once, and it was caused by wrong credentials/policies for tvservice (don't ask me how did it come to that, but tvservice service was run NOT under NT-Authority/System account). So pls check also if it is not the case for you

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yep, it could be something like that. Best not to mess with the service configuration. ;)

Jules Cantwell

Portal Member
    October 23, 2014
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Thanks folks. Looking back I can recall I reset the My SQL password do something other than the default MediaPortal - wonder if that could be part of it? Guess a clean reinstall might be no harm?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking back I can recall I reset the My SQL password do something other than the default MediaPortal - wonder if that could be part of it?
    Changing the MySQL password would not have this effect. Your MySQL password is fine.

Jules Cantwell

Portal Member
    October 23, 2014
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    i have seen it once, and it was caused by wrong credentials/policies for tvservice (don't ask me how did it come to that, but tvservice service was run NOT under NT-Authority/System account). So pls check also if it is not the case for you
    Hi, I went to Services in Administrator Tools in Control Panel and opened properties for TVService. It's set to Local System Account and the 'Allow service to interact with desktop' checkbox is ticked. Is this correct?

I'm starting to think that the root cause here may be that I first installed Media Portal 2, then uninstalled it and then installed MP 1.9.0. The pre-requisites for MP 2 are on the following page and it may be that one of the 3 things I installed is causing issues (.NET 4.5, Directx 9, C++ redistributables)? http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_..._Installing_MediaPortal_2#System_Requirements
    I'll uninstall everything and go again

Jules Cantwell

Portal Member
    October 23, 2014
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Bummer. have spent several hours at this reinstalling and rescanning channels etc. and this time think I got the XML TV setup right, but the same problem persists, no TV working.

I've run a .NET installer verification tool and it looks like I have .NET 4.5.0 installed but not 3.5 and when I try to install 3.5 it gives an error. Went to Control Panel - Add Features in Windows 8.1. but for some reason the .NET checkbox items are no longer listed. Thinking there's definitely something wrong with .NET but not sure how to fix it.
    Latest logs attached, doubt there's any change in root issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom