DennisManors

June 19, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am new to MediaPortal and by no means a computer expert so I wanted to ask how difficult MediaPortal 1 and/or 2 is to install and set up. I want to be able to stream my video collection to a Smart TV with all access and controls resident on the TV vice having to control from my PC. My questions are: is installation intuitive enough for a novice, what should I do in advance of installation to ensure smooth functionality, which version is preferred for my application, and what installation options do you recommend. A lot to ask I know. I've read much of the guides but wanted to get user hands-on experience before I jump in with both feet. Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello @DennisManors and Welcome.
    MP1 use only it's own client from Windows computer.
    But one thing can be used is MPTVscheduler if your TV is an android OS. i know than it can allow straming TV channel, and maybe Movies and series.

the new MP2 allow to use DLNA feature, so in principe you can stream direclty to your TV, all what is scanned on your "server" side. i never try myself how it work ( the DLNA side) .

Both MP1 and MP2 can be installed on the same machine, the only issue you can have is the TVserver plugin on MP2 which will be in conflict with MP1 TVE.
    if you don't need TV , don't install it during MP1 setup.
    on MP2, the TVserver is running by default, but can be deleted from plugins folder ( when service is not started)

DennisManors

June 19, 2018
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thank you for the information. If I understand your explanation, if all I want to do is stream my video files to my TV, all I need to do is install MP2 as server only - no need to install client if I'm not recording shows from my TV. Same would apply if I install MP1 only - server but not client?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Nop mp1 must be used by client on first run and every time you must addon or remove movies, and you must use mptvscheduler on android os.

The best is maybe mp2

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom