newcomer set up problems (1 Viewer)

AlanJ14

July 23, 2015
Home Country
England England
Hello
I am completely new to MP and completely at a loss as to what to do next!
In the installation process I got the message " invalid file handle 32" so I clicked OK and then I was told that I had successfully installed MP.
When I opened MP I tried configuration and got the message "unable to connect to TV server on host 'ALAN PC'
My SQL Server 5.6 is installed.
I am running a TBS 6280 Dual DVB-T/T2 tuner card with the latest driver.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In the installation process I got the message " invalid file handle 32" so I clicked OK and then I was told that I had successfully installed MP. When I opened MP I tried configuration and got the message "unable to connect to TV server on host 'ALAN PC'. My SQL Server 5.6 is installed. I am running a TBS 6280 Dual DVB-T/T2 tuner card with the latest driver.
    This post is potentially a case of the blind leading the blind, and if you follow the advice below, your system may end up in a worse mess than it is now. However, some points:

(0) If you have not already done so, create a system image of your operating-system drive, so that you can restore it if things go wrong.

(1) Did you install MP1 or MP2? The developers working on MP2 are rightly proud of their efforts, but there are many other MP experts who would recommend that you install MP1 in the first instance, as it is a more mature and more stable product. MP 1.12 is the current stable version of MP1. Whichever version you have installed, uninstall it and reboot.

(2) MP uses other tools/products that are outside its control. Consequently, things do not always work as smoothly as one would like. A specific example of this is the SQL system used by MP.

(3) If you already have MySQL installed, when you attempt to install MP 1.12 ensure that MySQL is deselected for installation.

(4) Also ensure that you have the internet accessed during installation.

(5) Your TBS tuners are fully supported by MP, and should work without problem (I use TBS 6284 tuners).

(6) When I first installed MP, it took two attempts to achieve a successful install. Last week I did an upgrade install (from 1.9 to 1.12), and that took four attempts to achieve a successful install [sigh].

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

AlanJ14

July 23, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi and thanks for your reply.
    This morning I totalled MP and MySQL from my PC and re booted so I had a clean slate.
    I also as recommended installed and formatted (if that is the right word) MSLoopback.using the suggested IP address. 192.168.2.1.
    Then I tried to set up MP1 from scratch. When it got to the install screen I got as far as "MP 1.12 installing"
    and up came "Invalid file handle 32". Instead of clicking OK, I closed the message box and it came up MP installed.
    Then when it tried to install MySQL I got a box with "MYSQL start service exception", then "Failed to install MySQL 5.6.
    Connected to internet throughout.
    I have now made at least ten attempts to install MP!!

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have now made at least ten attempts to install MP!!
    I think that this is the point at which you should probably accept defeat and try some alternative media center software. You will know best your situation, but you could consider:

(1) Windows 7 Home Premium
    (2) Kodi (formerly XBMC)
    (3) Myth TV (Linux)

I have used (1). I would not say that it is better or worse than MP -- it simply provides a different combination of advantages and disadvantages (i.e. better in some respects, worse in others).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you want to try Kodi, be aware you need a separate TV backend there. Same is for Plex or similar. Lots of people are using MP1 TV Server as backend for Kodi. Sadly this seems not to work for you... Alternatives are "Argus" that also can work with MP1 or "DVBViewer", if you don't want to swap over to Linux. I'm not sure about "DVBViewer" but I'm pretty sure "Argus" needs MySQL too.

So I would suggest to stick on Win7/8.1 and use WMC if you can't get MP to work...

Before completely give up on MP you may try MP2 nevertheless. MP2 did not need MySQL (what seems to be the main issue) so maybe it will work for you then..
    At first remove MP1 and MySQL completely from your system. Then do a reboot and install MP2 downloaded from this posting:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...te-1-snapshot-2015-08-03.131533/#post-1146338
    To make things easier to us you can use the provided "MP2-Setup-Logging.bat" for install. This will add some extra log files to better see what's wrong, if something went wrong. If this is working (or not) and you need further help, feel free to ask. We are happy to help.

If this also did not work at least you can say to yourself "I've tried as hard as I can"...;)

AlanJ14

July 23, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi
    CyberSimian - I appreciate your considering my plight, but there must be a solution somewhere. Surely I can't be the only one who can't install MP!!
    There is something, somewhere.
    Lehmden - Thank you - I will give MP2 a try as you suggest.

Just a bit of extra information - I am currently running Arcsoft TM 3.5 and the Internet TV for WMC is installed. ?conflict?
    I have tried to install MP after uninstalling Arcsoft but no joy.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Surely I can't be the only one who can't install MP!!
    There is clearly something unusual about either your hardware, or the other software that you have installed, or the settings that you have changed in Windows. But how to find it...? :confused:

At this point, if I were determined to get MP working, I would probably do the following:

(1) Create an image of the system drive (C: ).
    (2) Boot the Windows DVD and go to the command line.
    (3) Format the C: drive to ensure that there is nothing left of the old installation.
    (4) Install Windows.
    (5) Install drivers for the motherboard devices (most boards with Intel chipsets require this).
    (6) Install device drivers for other essential devices (e.g. the TV tuners, WiFi adapter).
    (7) Install all Windows updates.
    (8) Resist the temptation to install anything else at all! (no applications, no games, no utilities, no antivirus, no firewall (the built-in Windows firewall is adequate)).
    (9) Install MP 1.12, allowing MySQL to install.

If your PC is a multi-use PC, and you have many other essential applications and data on your C: drive, the above process may be less than appealing. :( However, if you create an image of your C: drive first, you can restore it after performing the above test.

Internet TV for WMC is installed.
    If you already have WMC installed, do you really need to migrate to MP? Many users are doing so because they want to migrate to Windows 10, but you could stay with Windows 7/8/8.1, and continue to use WMC. The EPG fiasco that is currently afflicting WMC users in the USA has not (yet) arrived in the UK, and in the UK Windows 7/8/8.1 can use the EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals. (Note: the broadcast EPG is not a good as the internet EPG, but it is usable.)

AlanJ14

July 23, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Hello, and thanks for everybody's input. I do like the look of MP and was anticipating a move to Win 10 from Win 7.
    It seems Win 7 will be supported for the next 5 years at least, (I can't get on with Win 8), and as I am presently running Arcsoft TM3.5 which is great, but won't run on Win 10 it seems pretty clear that my best bet is to stay as I am. As they say - if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    However there are other issues with my PC at the moment and there could be a connection there. I may be facing a clean install of Windows anyway so I may well try MP in the future. I am printing a copy of your advice for future reference.
    By the way, I tried MP2 as suggested by Lehmden, and that was a failure as well!
    Thanks again for all your efforts.
    If I ever do get MP to work (I don't give up easily) I will let the forum know.
    'Bye

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Well, if nothing will help as last option someone expirienced could connect to your PC with Teamviever and look at installation process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom