NFO Scanner explained + issues? (1 Viewer)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well the XBMC NFO format is the closest thing to a standard I am aware of; there is a semi-formal definition available on their wiki. For the upcoming 0.8 release LRFalk01 has written a scraper that reads full movie details from NFO files (rather than just pulling the IMDb ID for more accurate retrieval like we do now). So with the next release it should be super easy to migrate from XBMC.

But as far as standards go and the possibility of Moving Pictures creating NFO files like this, I am not 100% certain the route we will take. The XBMC NFO "standard" is not incredibly flexible and in some places a bit limiting. For example there is no support for release date information (only release year) and the format does not take into account the fact that the release date varies from region to region. There is only one field for the certification of the movie (which is called MPAA, ignoring all the other rating bodies of the world). And then there is file specific data stored such as the path of the file, codec information etc, which I think really is not appropriate for such a file format. None of these things are really a problem for Moving Pictures at the moment, we too only store release year and we only store the rating of a single ratings body. But I think these things limit the flexibility and longevity of the format. Not that it couldn't be expanded. :p

Anyway just saying we haven't made a decision. But again, full NFO file reading is a go for 0.8.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If we use the same titles for the tags then it would be compatible and any future/addtional tags not supported can be added.

ncoH

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2007
    Hannover
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

is it possible to import offline files with the new nfo reader?

Nico

Kilack

Portal Member
    August 10, 2009
    Please use the xbmc nfo format or keep it compatible, it is already so widely supported by 3rd party programs, it would be a shame to lose that.

dreesje

Portal Member
    March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    xml import

Hello fforde,

at the beginning of this thread you wrote this.

For the record the XML files kiwijunglist is referring to are from the MyMovies plugin for Windows Media Center, not Media Center itself. But armandp is right, with the next release it will be possible to create a scraper script for files like this, so it's just a matter of time.

I tried this out with the 0.8 version from svn and it looks like moving pictures is able to import the information from the MyMovies.xml file located in every moviedirectory. The problem with MyMovies is that it's not possible to add custom genres, but you are able to add custom categories. Now moving pictures seems to recognise the genres in the xml file, but will it also be able to recognise categories in the xml file in the final 0.8 release?

Kind regards,
    dreesje

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No, that scraper engine is meant to pull details about a specific movie. Categories are at a higher level than that. It would be possible to modify the script to import MyMovies categories as genres perhaps, but I am not sure this is what you mean. I am not too familiar with the latest version of MyMovies, but I suspect that their Categories are not the same as our Categories. Two similar features that are not quite the same and unfortunately and confusingly share a common name.

dreesje

Portal Member
    March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you fforde,

I think I need to find a different solution. I suppose the categories in moving pictures can be a collection of movies belonging to different genres f.e. I can make a categorie children and add all films belonging to the genres animation and family.
    Is this how it works ?

kind regards,
    dreesje

heintje

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I try to get imdb.com information for the DVD "Phi Collins - Seriously Live" (Link Phil Collins: Seriously Live (1990) (V)).
    I have created a nfo-file with content "tt0824379". I have did the same thing for lots of other dvds and here movPic finds all the information. But with the dvd above nothing is found...

Can anybody help me?

Thanks, DerHeintje

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Adult movies can not be searched on by title via imdb.com search, so Moving Pictures is unable to find them and I have to manually enter the IMDB tt-ID inside Movie Importer. I figured I try the NFO method, but my crazy filenameing scheme seems to throw things off.

"Deep Throat [1972] - 352x272 XviD @ 224Kbps MP2.avi" + "Deep Throat [1972] - 352x272 XviD @ 224Kbps MP2.nfo" fails.

The NFO file ends up being ignored. Renaming the file to "Deep Throat [1972].avi" (with matching NFO filename, containing 'tt0068468') solves the problem, or I can keep feeding the tt-ID manually into the Importer, but perhaps there is a small bug in the NFO filematching part.

"Regular Expression Noise Filter" = "-\s\d+x\d+.+"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom