No Audio (even menu audio) although windows, MCE etc all are ok (1 Viewer)

belliez

January 11, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

As of yesterday my MP audio just stopped working. This includes the audio you hear when navigating the menus, and also the audio for movies, mp3 etc.

When I exit back into Windows Vista all is fine. I started Microsofts MC and that worked fine, all audio for movies and MP3's work fine in Media Player etc.. the problem is just MP.

I had MP RC3 installed so I uninstalled everything (including registry settings) and installed MP1.0 but with the same problem. In fact, when I first ran MP1.0 and started to navigate the menus I heard the sounds it make for a couple of seconds then nothing...

Any suggestions? I am not sure this if this is a codec problem or not (Vista Codec Pack and x64 Components installed) but I dont get sound when I am in the MP menus also!

TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Wide
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
CPU Type: Intel 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
HDD: MAXTOR STM3160215AS 160GB
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: SPDIFF built into MB

belliez

January 11, 2009
Home Country
I did try pressing the mute button on the remote control several times and when i exited MP I did see the sound icon in the sys tray being ok! I will try your suggestion (I'm hoping it is something as simple as this!).

I tried what you suggested (windowed mode) and the sound mixer is at full volume and is set to SPDIF. I also pressed the wrong key stroke (CTRL-ENTER) to get back to full screen and I heard the windows error sound as I did this... so sound is definitely ok in windows... just not in MP?

spurt

Portal Member
January 28, 2009
My MP was working perfectly until one day I get an error message which I can't remember what it says, and then there is no music in MP.

My MP running on Vista, with SPDIF and Realtek audio, and NO SOUND. My other windows apps all working properly with sound, but MP no sound.

I use the BASS player with Realtek audio.

Anyone with a solution?

belliez

January 11, 2009
Home Country
I fixed it by re-installing vista and using windows media centre!!! I also tried the latest Windows 7 and it works a treat and is a lot better and more stable than Vista MCE.

Shame, because I liked MP and couldnt find a fix for it.

BVB0691

Portal Member
September 4, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
No Audio From SPDIF

I had experienced the same problem just yesterday, for no apparent reason MP would not allow sound to the SPDIF to my surround sound.(was working prior to yesterday) However, MP would allow sound to my Logitech USB speakers at my desk.(using dual monitors)
I have Realtek HD audio on my motherboard, so I initially unistalled the Realtek driver and used the Windows Vista 32 driver. With the Windows driver, I now had audio to the SPDIF. However, this driver only has the option of 2 channels in shared mode, and my surround unit would only have audio to the front speakers only.(not ideal for movies)
So, I re-installed the Realtek HD driver and magically, I now have audio to the SPDIF from MP.
I don't quite understand why this happened, as for I had built other HTPC's using Vista 32 & 64 with Realtek Audio and MP installed, with never incurring this problem.

Hopefully this will help.

spurt

Portal Member
January 28, 2009
I had experienced the same problem just yesterday, for no apparent reason MP would not allow sound to the SPDIF to my surround sound.(was working prior to yesterday) However, MP would allow sound to my Logitech USB speakers at my desk.(using dual monitors)
I have Realtek HD audio on my motherboard, so I initially unistalled the Realtek driver and used the Windows Vista 32 driver. With the Windows driver, I now had audio to the SPDIF. However, this driver only has the option of 2 channels in shared mode, and my surround unit would only have audio to the front speakers only.(not ideal for movies)
So, I re-installed the Realtek HD driver and magically, I now have audio to the SPDIF from MP.
I don't quite understand why this happened, as for I had built other HTPC's using Vista 32 & 64 with Realtek Audio and MP installed, with never incurring this problem.

Hopefully this will help.

OK I will go and reinstall my onboard realtek driver later today.

Wish me luck.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Vista has a habit of stopping audio drivers from working correctly, have had this problem with creative audigy as well.

Touch wood installing driver prior to SP1 install, seems to be the only foolproof answer I have found :(

BVB0691

Portal Member
    September 4, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Vista Problem With Audio Drivers

Thanks for that input on when to install the audio driver.

Unfortunately, it did not work for me. My Vista Ultimate 32 copy is pre-SP1, and I had installed the realtek driver right after installation of the operating system, well before SP1 install.

The thing is, when the problem occured with MP, all other players,(WMP, Quicktime and Adobe) as well as all sounds of windows, was able to output through the SPDIF. Another strange thing was, in MP configuration, I was able to "test" an audio file through the SPDIF, at the time of this problem. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom