[fixed] No database connection from client after new install? (1 Viewer)

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Re: AW: No database connection from client after new install?

Now tv-server provides a gentle.config file to the clients which causes the client to look for the db-server on the loclahost, so there cound't be a real connection and for example the programm info cound not be displayed.

AFAIK TVServer provides Gentle.config at least since 1.1 (can't be sure but I think it was even since 1.0.2). This has not changed for a long time.

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: No database connection from client after new install?

Hi mm,

think You have to have a look to the installer methode which should ask for db-connection infos and should change the gentle.config file from localhost to whereever the database-server is.

In older versions I got a setupwindow while installation which asked for the database connection and of course for the user and password. When I installed 1.2.beta this db-config-screen dindn't appear??

I guess that's the problem...

Now tv-server provides a gentle.config file to the clients which causes the client to look for the db-server on the loclahost, so there cound't be a real connection and for example the programm info cound not be displayed.

Thx
    ramu

I had the same problem here and only after searching two evenings in the MP forum I found this thread, which gave me the solution. After manual edit of my tv-server gentle-config I got the connection to TV-db.

My first clue was the error.log og my mp-client which had as tv-server name localhost instead of the correct name that i entered in the tv-client. After more search i came to the gentle.config file but editing the client had no effect because on each MP-start the old values were back. Now in this thread i found out I had to edit the gentle-config serverside and that was the solution.

I think a "normal" user expects that the server name enterd in the tv-client-side config should be used to search for the server and not some default-config that is loaded from tv-server. It confused me to read the localhost in the error.log and first I had no clue why Mp did not use the name of the client-config. When I startet MP-Config the correct tv-Server-name was there. So this is a conflict between tv-server and client in my opinion.The even more strange thing is, that there is connection to the tv-server (got the rec-symbol from server in my client), but only the database could not be reached. That means a part of the client-config used the server-name of the client-config and the other part, the database, not - this is no good solution and very confusing!

Greetings Sonny

Just forgot to make a proposal for a solution: Maybe you could edit the tv-server-gentle-config while installation of tv-server so that instead of the localhost the pc name of the server is entered. When a client copies the gentle-config from the server ist has the correct server name.

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: No database connection from client after new install?

Questtion @ MP-Team: Is this confirmed as a bug now and will there be a fix in MP1.2RC?
    Just want to know...

llewellyn

February 1, 2012
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Re: Unable to connect to database

Hip, hip, hooray.
    Finally ... it works. I followed the advice above to change the word "localhost" to <myservername> in the gentle.config file on the tvserver.
    Can the developers please add this advice to the Userguide and Troubleshooting section.

For neophytes like me, you will find this file in: (it took me a long time to find it; I was looking in the wrong place)
    C:\ProgramData\TeamMediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server

A note to the developers: I'm 45 years old. I reckon I know vastly more about computers than most people my age and I'm quite prepared to fiddle. But I absolutely hate changing things that I know nothing about. I need clear and complete guidelines about what to do in a set of given circumstances. Remember, not everybody is a techie. It has taken me days to resolve this problem.

I really love MediaPortal and I think you will gain many more users and acolytes if your troubleshooting section was more extensive - document each error with the resolution (step by step).

That said, this is a fantastic project and I congratulate you all.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Setting this to "bug" since we have an untested fix (thanks to @mm1352000) which is unfortunatlely too late for MP 1.3.0 BETA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom