[no Bug] no 'delete this movie' option anymore? (1 Viewer)

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The fact that video files may not be created within MP to me is totally irrelevant to the method of deleting said files.
    I record TV programs on my main PC, edit the adverts out using a proper video editing program, then transfer the edited file to my HTPC. And after watching one of these programs, I normally delete it immediately.
    As mentioned above, I do not use a a keyboard or remote control to operate MP, so using the '0' key is not an option for me.
    You take the time to edit the recordings on your main PC and then transfer them to your HTPC (over the network I guess) but you find it takes too much time to delete it through the network from your main PC, or through the file menu on HTPC?

How much time does it take you to edit and transfer? (it takes me about 10 mins to edit in ProjectX and another 5min to transfer over 100Mbps network)
    How much time does it take you to delete the file? (it takes me 5 secs over the network, 10 secs at most using file menu and it took 3-4 secs when Delete this video option was directly in the context menu)

empezza

Portal Member
    March 21, 2009
    Jervis Bay, NSW
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The fact that video files may not be created within MP to me is totally irrelevant to the method of deleting said files.
    I record TV programs on my main PC, edit the adverts out using a proper video editing program, then transfer the edited file to my HTPC. And after watching one of these programs, I normally delete it immediately.
    As mentioned above, I do not use a a keyboard or remote control to operate MP, so using the '0' key is not an option for me.
    You take the time to edit the recordings on your main PC and then transfer them to your HTPC (over the network I guess) but you find it takes too much time to delete it through the network from your main PC, or through the file menu on HTPC?

How much time does it take you to edit and transfer? (it takes me about 10 mins to edit in ProjectX and another 5min to transfer over 100Mbps network)
    How much time does it take you to delete the file? (it takes me 5 secs over the network, 10 secs at most using file menu and it took 3-4 secs when Delete this video option was directly in the context menu)

You are completely missing the point of this thread, and making assumptions on how people use MP and their PCs. :confused:

I do not necessarily have the main PC turned on at night while I am watching a movie on the HTPC, so no network may be available. Even if the main PC and the network was on, it would take more than 10 seconds for me to get up from the chair in the lounge room, walk to the study, find the file on the HTPC and delete it, and then return to the lounge room.

Deleting a video file using MP 1.0.2 was quick and easy. 2 clicks of the mouse I think. Now in MP 1.1 you are making a simple process just a little more complex and slower. Surely you cannot deny that! So much for progress.

Must close now and go look for another brick wall to bang my head against :(

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Can someone tell me the reason for changing this?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Is it now one click more difficult to delete a file? Or two click more difficult?
    Bottom line is that a lot of HTPC users will not want to loose data by accident. So file operations are limited to the File submenu and the one or two click more will safe you possible headaches in future. Better to have one or two users with brick damage ;) in the face than a lot of users complaining about accidental data loss, be it thick finger syndrome or 3 year old playing with remote.

An as stated earlier, consistent user interface.

:)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi rekenaar!

Again, I totally agree that a consistent UI is more user friendly.
    In this case though, if you use your system regularly to record it's nice to be able to clean up those recordings with as few clicks as possible.

Do you mean more consistent to the users or devs/skin designers?

Of course it's not that difficult to make one extra click, it's just annoying compared to how it was before and in this case it's not that intuitive anymore.
    I think there should be a distinction made between recordings and movie storage. Accidental deletion is a non-argument because you had to confirm a deletion + the 'No' option was selected as default anyway.

It doesn't mean that when only 'one or two users' are addressing this issue that the rest agrees and don't forget that there is a difference between the 'early birds' who are using/or just testing an RC version or the ones who stayed with 1.0.2

I think that we should:
    - either not to allow to delete videos, music, pics inside MP
    - or ask the user to enter PIN code for deletion

What do you do with recordings then, and I'm talking about things aside of movies that you don't want to keep.

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I think that for videos & music & photos:
    1. Either we must not allow to delete data
    - neither by presing "0" button - it is possible now and I think that it can cause loss of data :(
    - nor by choosing a corresponding item in context menu (this item was removed as far as I know)
    2. Or we must first to check a special "Allow deletion from GUI" checkbox (which is can be added) in the "Music", "Photos", "Video" sections of Configuration window - then we will be able to delete by context menu or pressing "0" button.

But for TV recordings we ultimately must provide deletion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom