No LiveTV on MP client (1 Viewer)

henk99

Portal Pro
October 7, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
that would be the best option.

Charli, did you get a chance to look at the logs? I still have the same status here. I still can't view any recorded HD content on my client MP.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    that would be the best option.

Ok charli, here are my logs. I have done As I stated above. Hopefully, you can see something in it.

On my TV server pc, I also have the MP client. In this client all the recordings play fine. I have set up the htpc client in the same way in terms of codecs. Didn't help.

It remains a mystery to me, as the streaming of live tv is fine...:confused:

Everything looks OK from what I can see. The relevant codecs seem to be added based on the logs.

If you notice the mediaportal log file, there is a url when you start the recording (rtsp://192.168.xx.xx/yyy). What you could do is on the server start watching a recording, and then on another client try using VLC to connect to this stream. Again it sounds like a firewall issue or router (somewireless do not like rtsp streams).
    Are your remote clients wifi connected or hard wired to the network.

Another test you could maybe do is setup a share to where your recorded files are to see if this assists in the issue. Can you play the recorded programs via a file on the remote PC.

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Everything looks OK from what I can see. The relevant codecs seem to be added based on the logs.

If you notice the mediaportal log file, there is a url when you start the recording (rtsp://192.168.xx.xx/yyy). What you could do is on the server start watching a recording, and then on another client try using VLC to connect to this stream. Again it sounds like a firewall issue or router (somewireless do not like rtsp streams).
    Are your remote clients wifi connected or hard wired to the network.

Another test you could maybe do is setup a share to where your recorded files are to see if this assists in the issue. Can you play the recorded programs via a file on the remote PC.

I doubt the firewall as the cause at this point, as I have shut it down on both the tv server and the client htpc. The router may be a possible candidate, but I'm using it in the hard wired mode, not wireless.

I will try your suggestion about the shared videofiles, that might be a good test to see if MP has access to them. On the other hand, the SD recordings are in the same folder and they get played fine....

It can't be in the codecs in my opinion. The client version that is on the TVserver computer, also plays the HD recordings okay.

Do you have any suggestion on how I can check if my router is causing problems?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, I have switched off the firewall on the tvserver and now the streaming live TV works. There is still one thing about the TV part that is not working though.
    Do you use RC4?
    Because when you enter MyTV on the client the frst time -> insert hostname of TV-Server -> it should then have told you that some ports were blocked.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    to test your router , I would seggest start watching a recording on the server and connect to that stream via vlc from the client (stop mediaportal all together). The network connection string to use will be in the MEdiaPortal log in the way of rtsp://serverip/xyzabc. VLC uses no codecs to display video so it will assist in proving the router.

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, I have switched off the firewall on the tvserver and now the streaming live TV works. There is still one thing about the TV part that is not working though.
    Do you use RC4?
    Because when you enter MyTV on the client the frst time -> insert hostname of TV-Server -> it should then have told you that some ports were blocked.

No, I am using RC3. I think it has the server address correct, as SD tv recordings are displaying fine. It's just the HD content that doesn't work.

to test your router , I would seggest start watching a recording on the server and connect to that stream via vlc from the client (stop mediaportal all together). The network connection string to use will be in the MEdiaPortal log in the way of rtsp://serverip/xyzabc. VLC uses no codecs to display video so it will assist in proving the router.

Wow Charli, you are going a bit too fast for me. I don't have enough knowledge of logs to know what to use :confused:
    So I install VLC on the client, but where do I start this stream then? How can I instruct VLC to open the stream?

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry, I sow down a bit...

step 1 - From the MP CLient loaded on the same machine as the TV Server, Start a tv recording that does not work on the other client and leave it running. Make sure MP is in windowed mode so you can access the MP log files.
    Step 2 - On The same machine, Open Mediaportal.log (located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log) maybe a bit different in VIsta not sure.
    Step 3 - somewhere at the bottom of this log should be a line similar to this [Info.][MPMain]: TSReaderPlayer: open file: rtsp://192.168.1.101/812E861C
    Note that the 812E861C may be something different.
    Step 4 - Open VLC. Select Media/Open Network...
    Step 5 - Then from the drop down box of the new window, select rtsp as the protocol and in the address, place the url found from step 3
    (eg rtsp://192.168.1.101/812E861C).
    Step 6 - Now Press Play and video should start playing.

This VLC step is for version 0.9.4 _ Earlier VLC versions have different menu names but the principle is the same.

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorry, I sow down a bit...

step 1 - From the MP CLient loaded on the same machine as the TV Server, Start a tv recording that does not work on the other client and leave it running. Make sure MP is in windowed mode so you can access the MP log files.
    Step 2 - On The same machine, Open Mediaportal.log (located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log) maybe a bit different in VIsta not sure.
    Step 3 - somewhere at the bottom of this log should be a line similar to this [Info.][MPMain]: TSReaderPlayer: open file: rtsp://192.168.1.101/812E861C
    Note that the 812E861C may be something different.
    Step 4 - Open VLC. Select Media/Open Network...
    Step 5 - Then from the drop down box of the new window, select rtsp as the protocol and in the address, place the url found from step 3
    (eg rtsp://192.168.1.101/812E861C).
    Step 6 - Now Press Play and video should start playing.

This VLC step is for version 0.9.4 _ Earlier VLC versions have different menu names but the principle is the same.

Thanks charli, I will try this tonight when I get home.

I would like to thank you for your support so far! I really appreciate this. :D
    I really hope we can sort this out, as it such an important part of my htpc experience to be able to view recorded content.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No worries mate,

it is almost 11pm here so will speak with you tomorrow.

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Okay, tried some more things.

When opening up a share on the tv server where the recordings are, the client is able to play the files in mpc-hc. It's a little stuttering, but I assume that's due to network bandwidth.

I didn't get the vlc part working yet, but that, but it's getting late here now. I will try that tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom