no MP hdmi audio (1 Viewer)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm not getting any audio from MP through HDMI. I'm sure this is a very common connection method. Normal sounds from W7 activity through HDMI, so not a problem with the pc or the cable (tried a different cable anyway - same result). Normal sound from W7 and MP through pc audio out to amplifier/speakers. I had been using audio out method for many years - but an amplifier failure required a change to HDMI method.

I think I must have some MP setting wrong for HDMI audio -- but I can't find it. Suggestions/solution needed.

Thanks.
    (no logs because no MP error)

Edit: HDMI sound also works from TVserver Configuration>Channels>Preview

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm not getting any audio from MP through HDMI.
    I currently use an HDMI video+audio connection from MP 1.25 on Windows 7 to my Sony TV, and that works OK (mostly). I previously used an analogue audio connection from the HTPC to an analogue audio amplifier, but that had low-level hum (nothing to do with MP, obviously).

There are various possibilities that occur to me:

(1) Check that MP is not muted. Press the MUTE button on your remote control several times. Does the MP "Mute" icon appear on the screen?

(2) Start MP and then check Windows sound mixer: right-click the loudspeaker icon at the right-hand end of the Task Bar, and then click "Open". There should be a vertical slider for Windows sounds, and another for MP sound level. Check that the MP slider is not muted, and that it is set to the maximum level (100%).

(3) I have an Nvidia graphics adapter, and the "Nvidia Control Panel" has a "Digital Audio" panel on which digital audio can be enabled and disabled. This is where my system is not 100% correct. Occasionally, the system will wake from hibernation, I start MP, and then start live TV or video. The video appears but there is no sound. MP is not muted, and the Windows mixer shows that the MP sound is at 100% and not muted in the Windows mixer.

I don't know what causes this, but I found by experiment that disabling HDMI audio in the "Nvidia Control Panel" and clicking "Apply", and then re-enabling HDMI audio and clicking "Apply" causes the sound to appear. It is not even necessary to close MP or to stop the video playing. You get to the "Nvidia Control Panel" by right-clicking the Windows desktop.

Of course, you may be using an AMD or Intel graphics adapter, but they may nevertheless have a similar facility to enable and disable digital audio, and may also suffer from this quirk (e.g. if it is a Windows quirk and not an Nvidia quirk).

(4) The LAV audio codec settings have some control over what types of digital audio are supported. I am less clear what these do, but you should check that they look sensible. As a test, it might be worthwhile disabling all types of clever audio (such as multichannel bitstreaming, or Dolby digital, or...), as I think that if the receiver does not understand what the sender is sending, you will get no sound. So try simple stereo (with multichannel mixdown) at "normal" sampling rates to see if that works.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Edit: HDMI sound also works from TVserver Configuration>Channels>Preview
    Further to the response by @CyberSimian
    The preview plays sound straight to the default sound device you have set up under windows. It does not use the codecs etc. settings in MP
    Given that make sure you have the settings as per the attached screenshot, if you have the "Media Portal Audio Renderer" selected click on the spanner icon and make sure the "Default Sound Device" is selected in its settings. please note the the MP Audio Renderer is not recommended for TV use , though it usually works, it can be deslected individualy under the TV tab when you want to use if for everything else.

codecs.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    These are the LAV audio settings that I use (click the spanner icon for the "LAV Audio Decoder" on the "Video Codecs" tab or "TV Codecs" tab):

lav_audio_settings.jpg lav_audio_mixing.jpg

Note that all of the clever bitstreaming settings are deselected. I think this means that if the video source contains any of those audio formats, LAV converts them to a simpler format (e.g. stereo at a supported sampling rate), but I am not an audio expert. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll check all and report back. Might be several hours.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Given that make sure you have the settings as per the attached screenshot, if you have the "Media Portal Audio Renderer" selected click on the spanner icon and make sure the "Default Sound Device" is selected in its settings.
    This was it, essentially. I did have Default Sound selected, but on further inspection at W7 Control Panel > Sound, I had Default Sound defined as Speakers via Realtec Audio, which is the external amplifier/speakers. Changed it to Sony TV,, and all is well.
    I hope I can remember this when I want to change back to the external audio system.

Thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom