no reaction when inserting a SVCD ? (1 Viewer)

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
I never wanted to play a SVCD before, but today I tried it. But nothing happend. It seems that MP does not recognize this CD.

What ist the problem? I have all relevant codec (the CDXA Reader, too), although I dont think that it is a codec-related problem. Other mpg. working fine.

I am using MP 0.1.2.0

nik

Portal Member
May 3, 2005
It'll work, but MP doesn't support autoplay for videoCD's. You need to browse to the cd player, and then to the mpeg folder (or whatever, can't remember) and select the videofile..

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
Will MP support with the next Version automatically recognizing vcd/svcd ?

I wonder why this feature isnt already integrated? Isnt it important to play Xvcd? I know, most of you, me too, use Avi or something else for their videos, but sometimes I want to play a svcd, and I would like to start it automatically like a DVD.

I cant imagine that it is hard to integrate.

tfro71

Portal Member
May 7, 2005
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
If you van play the SVCD throuhh one of the menu options, changing the autoplay to play the SVCD directly is not a big thing.
So if someone has a instruction how to get such a SVCD to work with mediaportal I can check how to fix autoplay for it (the code to detect the SVCD has already been made).

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
Sorry that I cant help you. I just wanted to point out how important this feature is. I dont understand why Autoplay for Music and DVD works, but not for S(X)VCD.
Is this really difficult/different to integrate, or is it simply less important for the developers? (dont want to blame you, I only would like to hear what you think about it)

tfro71

Portal Member
May 7, 2005
As is said its really easy to integrate it if someone can tell me how they get an svcd to play (and i mean wich menu's and buttons they use, so no programming stuff). Never did that before.

With that information i think it is really easy to get that to work. If mediaportal is not able to run the SVCD at all it is gonne be a lot more difficult.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
So is this feature planned?

"It should be simple" :p

(well in fact it should truly be simple, since those MPEG .dat can already be played, there is just need for some handler to understand that a VDC/SVCD is there and play it)

tfro71

Portal Member
May 7, 2005
Most of it has already been built. Only the handler that will play the disc has not been implemented yet. The detection of the disc and the type of it have been built (check your logfile).

Don't think this is a feature, there are not many people yelling for the autoplay. Did some work for it but it seems not a lot of people miss/need this part.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
indeed VCD are less and less
but on the other hand can a media center afford NOT to place VCD/SVCD?

even my 40 euro China CD/DVD player can play it

dgtalzone

July 19, 2006
Lower Hutt
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Auto-detect VCD/SVCD and autoplay.

It will be very much appreciated if this feature can be incorporated. My kids have a number of Mandarin educational VCD's and at the moment I have to maintain a separate DVD player for them. It will be great if they can just pop the VCD into the Shuttle and it will play.

Hopefully there is enough desire/requirement for this feature to justification its inclusion.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom