h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Ok I got a wierd issue. my system used to work, now it doesn't. I had been using MP rc1 and playing and testing with it. one day, I noticed I didn't have sound any more. I didn't have time to dig into it, so I waited, tried some things still no sound. if i exit MP I have sound in what ever I want to do. Launch MP, no sound. I figure I messed something up, so today I did a FULL COMPLETE uninstall of RC1 and installed rc2. configured the music part of MP, turned on the mce remote, saved those settings, launched MP, and no sound still.....

I am stumped. no errors in the logs, but they are attached anyway.

any ideas?????

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok, I uninstalled rc2 and installed the last beta release... still no sound in MP. everywhere else I have sound doing anything. ONLY mp does not have sound....

this is the craziest thing....

any and all help and suggestions are welcome....

tommeltott

Portal Member
April 19, 2009
Czech Republic
Home Country
Norway Norway
Ok, I uninstalled rc2 and installed the last beta release... still no sound in MP. everywhere else I have sound doing anything. ONLY mp does not have sound....

this is the craziest thing....

any and all help and suggestions are welcome....
hi there!

After the last RC1 and RC2 update I ve got a slightly similar problem; after a couple of opening and closing of the MP configuration interface, the option of choosing volume control (Master or wave are greyed out), making it impossible to control volume or mute once inside MP. I just wanted you to know, in case it could give a lead..

best regards, Tommeltott

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
I will double check, but I think mine is greayed out, too...

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Volume control in configuration is grayed out if using Win7 or you have selected 5.1/7.1 upmixing for music. The reason is that in these cases the volume control needs to be set to "Wave", so it is no longer user selectable.

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    Ok, well it sounds like those settings being greyed out is not an issue. but it still doesn't help explain why I have no sound in MP. I have sound in every other application except mp. this is really frustrating and makes the HTPC completly un-usable. no sound in the skin, no sound from any online videos, no sound from DVD iso's I have stored, no sound from music .mp3 files. Just flat no sound. but ONLY in MP.

I am at a loss. I have done complete uninstalls and re installs of RC1, then RC2, then back to RC1, then back to the last BETA, then back to RC2. I don't think it is a system issue becasue I have sounds in all other apps. But on the flip side, I don't think it is a MP issue because it is happening on multiple different versions. I had it working at one time on both the BETA and RC1. then it just quit working....

I have no clue and really need some help. Logs show nothing.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ok, well it sounds like those settings being greyed out is not an issue. but it still doesn't help explain why I have no sound in MP. I have sound in every other application except mp. this is really frustrating and makes the HTPC completly un-usable. no sound in the skin, no sound from any online videos, no sound from DVD iso's I have stored, no sound from music .mp3 files. Just flat no sound. but ONLY in MP.

I am at a loss. I have done complete uninstalls and re installs of RC1, then RC2, then back to RC1, then back to the last BETA, then back to RC2. I don't think it is a system issue becasue I have sounds in all other apps. But on the flip side, I don't think it is a MP issue because it is happening on multiple different versions. I had it working at one time on both the BETA and RC1. then it just quit working....

When you do an uninstall, are you doing a complete cleanup of all mediaportal products?

If you do this, please check if there is a Team MediaPortal folder inside C:\Program Data (you may have to enable viewing of hidden folders to see this). If there is, try deleting it before reinstalling. My gut feeling is that at some point you have been using what are now currently unsupported volume settings, and that there is an old configuration file somewhere that is causing the problem.

Mark

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Have you tried simply unmuting MP ? By pressing M on the keyboard ? I ask because I once had the same issue myself :rolleyes:

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    Yes, I am using the complete uninstall. I have verified that directory is empty. the only thing left in there is the uninstall log file. I will try deleting the entire folder next time just to make sure.

As for the M key, I will try that. I don't see how that setting could survive so many complete uninstalls and reinstalls of so many different versions, but it is simple to try, so I will do that. thanks for the suggestion..... I will post results as to what happens with both suggestions...

Ok, pressing the M key on the keyboard fixed it. It is so odd that setting is maintained even after several installs and uninstall. that is the wieredest and craziest thing I have seen. Maybe the install should make sure that setting is set to "un-muted" during the install.

thanks for the help. now I can officially begin my testing and re-setup of RC2.

WOW, that is a crazy one....

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Have you tried simply unmuting MP ? By pressing M on the keyboard ? I ask because I once had the same issue myself :rolleyes:

Could it be that the 'remembered' mute doesn't affect DD and DTS pass-through?

I have the following problem (probably since I installed RC2). I can only get Dolby Digital and DTS sound passed through to my Yamaha surround system (YSP-800). Whenever I have 2-channel (MPEG2-Layer3) audio, for example in a DivX file, there is no sound within in MP (video is playing fine). When I drag the file into GraphStudio everything plays fine (using the same Ffdshow Audio). I also checked with GraphStudio when MP was playing the file and the graph looks exactly the same (using Ffdshow Audio)?!? The same problem occurs with SAF 4.0 . I've tried disabling pass-through and also disabling re-sampling, all with the same result? I didn't have this before (RC2), so maybe it's RC2 related?!? It seems that the MP player is tweaking something? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom