No sound on HD channels Sydney Australia. (1 Viewer)

Zaphod_Beebl

Portal Member
October 13, 2007
Home Country
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 (8980)

Windows 7 pro.
  • MediaPortal 1.12.x downloaded and installed yesterday 30th june 2015

LAV for the 'Audio Decoder' is optioned for all codec options

No sound on HD channels, SD channels working fine.

Thanks.

Zaph[DOUBLEPOST=1435746347][/DOUBLEPOST]LAV is enabled for all TV codecs, changing to any other codec in any option did not change anything for the better.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Thanks for the report.

The log files say you have selected "Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder" (rather than LAV) for your audio codec. The MS codec is okay for MPEG 1 and 2 audio, but due to licensing restrictions it can't be used for DolbyDigital/AC-3 audio outside of MS software (WMC, WMP etc.). Your SD channels have MPEG 1/2 audio so they work, and your HD channels have DD/AC-3 audio so they don't. If you change the setting to LAV, audio should start to work for all channels (subject to use of correct LAV settings).

Regards,
    mm

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The MS codec is okay for MPEG 1 and 2 audio, but due to licensing restrictions it can't be used for DolbyDigital/AC-3 audio outside of MS software (WMC, WMP etc.). Your SD channels have MPEG 1/2 audio so they work, and your HD channels have DD/AC-3 audio so they don't.
    I don't think I agree to this. My MS-DTV works perfectly for all HD channels with DD/AC3.

I guess that the problem may be related to the audio renderer device being used. Try Default DirectSound Device and test again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't think I agree to this. My MS-DTV works perfectly for all HD channels with DD/AC3.
    I don't know how you've managed that because:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd390676(VS.85).aspx
    The Microsoft implementation of the Dolby Digital technology is restricted under terms of the Dolby Digital licensing program to use by Microsoft applications.

The MPAR release notes say:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...enderer_(MPAR)#The_MediaPortal_Audio_Renderer
    The Microsoft DTV DVD Audio codec will not send the audio to any other renderer except the Mircrosoft DirectSound Renderer. This is not a technical limitation, but a license restriction from Dolby Labs. This means that you cannot use the Microsoft DTV DVD Audio codec together with the MP Audio Renderer (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx). But there are plenty of alternatives.

...so perhaps I've misunderstood the scope of the limitation.

I guess that the problem may be related to the audio renderer device being used. Try Default DirectSound Device and test again.
    Unless I missed something, I thought the logs showed the OP was already using the default DirectSound renderer:
    <section name="mytv">
    <entry name="audiocodec">Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="audiorenderer">Default DirectSound Device</entry>

Have I missed something? :confused:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't know how you've managed that because:

The Microsoft implementation of the Dolby Digital technology is restricted under terms of the Dolby Digital licensing program to use by Microsoft applications.
    You may want to read further: ;)

Decoding of Dolby Digital Plus, AAC, and HE-AAC formats requires Windows 7. Decoding of Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus is not supported on Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Starter.

I am running Win 7 Professional, hence no issue. Not sure what the OP is using as his system specs do not specify the type of Windows 7 version and therefore we may both be correct.

Unless I missed something, I thought the logs showed the OP was already using the default DirectSound renderer:
    Ah, shame on me - I had not looked into the log.

No sound on HD channels,
    If you run Win 7 Pro there is another issue. If not and if you can't figure out how to set up LAV and would like to stick to MS-DTV instead, you can install AC3 Filter[DOUBLEPOST=1435757020][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah, I found the "Home Premium" information in the dxdiag log file...

Zaphod_Beebl

Portal Member
    October 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Really?

not according the the UI?

codec.jpg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Really?

not according the the UI?
    Yes, really. I already posted the config file (MediaPortal.xml) excerpt showing the value of the setting.
    You did say:
    changing to any other codec in any option did not change anything for the better.

...so perhaps you just forgot to change the setting back to LAV before collecting the log files.

Either way, if selecting LAV doesn't help then the point is moot and I recommend you post a screenshot of your LAV settings. You can find these by clicking the little spanner/wrench next to the setting when LAV audio is selected.

Zaphod_Beebl

Portal Member
    October 13, 2007
    Home Country
    According to the configuration UI the default codec is LAV, Attaching another report to see if this is still the case, however, still no sound.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    According to the configuration UI the default codec is LAV, Attaching another report to see if this is still the case
    As expected, the configuration file says you're using LAV now.

however, still no sound.
    Please post a screenshot of the LAV audio settings as instructed my previous post.

Another thing I noticed in this set of log files:
    <entry name="useEVRenderer">no</entry>

Did you copy your settings from a PC running Windows XP?
    As per the wiki, you should be using EVR on Vista and newer:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/3_Video_Renderer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom