No Video (but Audio) on second stream (1 Viewer)

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In my multiseat setup I quite regularily come across this error:

After someone starts playback of a recorded TV-show, another user who is trying to watch live-TV will get audio but no video, the screen is black.
    I have been able to reproduce this in "fresh" logfiles. I assume it's not a codec problem as the same codec settings will work in other situations.
    Maybe someone could help me interpret the Logfiles? Help here would be verry appreciated, I am stuck.

In other occasions, watching a recorded show OR live-TV on a second seat will interrupt playback on the first seat. However, I have not been able to reproduce this right now and I am not sure if both phenomena have the same cause.

I have included the Logs of the Server as well as those of the second client (with no video). Please let me know if further information is needed.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    TV-Server Logs look flawlessly to me. However an Error has been logged on the Client side:
    [2014-09-09 18:26:30,842] [Log ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) The operation has timed out after 3000.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue, what went wrong here...

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

I agree that the server logs look fine. Client side seems to be quite a different story...

First thing I see in the client logs is this:
    [2014-09-09 18:26:08,247] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TVHome.ViewChannelAndCheck(): View channel=ProSieben
    [2014-09-09 18:26:08,384] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - CiMenu: PrepareCiMenu
    [2014-09-09 18:26:09,533] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - succeeded:confused:ucceeded TvControl.VirtualCard
    [2014-09-09 18:26:30,577] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - tvhome:startplay

Note the huge delay between "succeeded..." and "tvhome:startplay". If you check the server side you'll see that tuning took just over 1 second, so a delay of ~21 seconds is completely unjustified.
    This kind of behaviour is typical of an IPv6 issue.
    Please disable the IPv6 protocol on your network adaptors for a start and see if that helps.
    If it doesn't help, please tell us about your network:
    • Is it wireless, and if so what standard [a, b, g, n, ac]... and how far is the client from the server?
    • If it is wired, and if so is it 100 Mb/s, 1 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s... and is it powerline or standard ethernet?
    • Do you have firewalls installed on the client(s) and/or server?

Later in the client logs I see something I've never seen before: "RenderBlack..." over and over again when you try to view Das Erste HD, which is probably why you don't see any video.
    Currently I have no idea what is causing this but I guess it could be network related. So, I would like to wait and see whether the IPv6 thing recommended above helps or for more information about your network.

Regards,
    mm

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello mm,

thank you for your detailed reply!

Indeed, your recommendations have helped me a lot. But first, here's details on my network:
    All Network clients are wired to Cat6 cabling connected to two 19" 24 port manageable Gigabit Switches (HP Procurve 1810G - 24 GE; Netgear GS724T). The two switches are connected by Fiber (Gbic). All ports autonegotiate to 1Gbps, There are VLANs present however all Mediaportal installations reside on the same untagged portgroup. QoS and security settings of the switches look pretty much "off the shelf". Windows Firewall is disabled for local networks on all MP-installations, there is no AV Software installed.

As you suggested I have disabled IPv6 on the server and two clients by using this Microsoft FixIt:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us
    Afterwards the IPv6-checkbox in "Properties of LAN Connection" was still checked so I disabled it and rebooted again.

I found out that:
    • Channel switching is MUCH faster after disabling IPv6
    • TvHome.RenderBlackImage still occurred on one seat butI have been able to resolve this. It happens every time when MP is started in windowed mode WHILE dynamic refresh rate changing is enabled in configuration. If dynamic refresh rate changing is disabled OR MP is started in Fullscreen, there is no black screen issue.

So, the TvHome.RenderBlackImage problem seems solved and channel switching is much faster now.
    There are still situations in which starting playback on one client causes playback on other clients to stop. However I have not yet been able to reproduce this.

Thanks again!

Cheers

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Interesting results. Thanks for reporting back. :)

Channel switching is MUCH faster after disabling IPv6
    This is expected based on results I've seen in the past. Hopefully you like the speed increase. :)

TvHome.RenderBlackImage still occurred on one seat butI have been able to resolve this. It happens every time when MP is started in windowed mode WHILE dynamic refresh rate changing is enabled in configuration. If dynamic refresh rate changing is disabled OR MP is started in Fullscreen, there is no black screen issue.
    Hmmm, I wonder if this behaviour is related to the GPU, GPU driver or display connected to that specific client...

There are still situations in which starting playback on one client causes playback on other clients to stop. However I have not yet been able to reproduce this.
    No worries. I'll be happy to look at log files if/when you're able to reproduce. :)

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom