No Videos from Network Drive after Windows 10 Update 1803 (1 Viewer)

Javelin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2006
    Nth Richmond NSW
    Home Country
    H Lehmden, thanks for your support. SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support is already enabled, this was one of the first things I checked. Diskstation is my NAS.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Diskstation is my NAS.
    I thought so. But 127.0.0.1 is the local loopback IP and can not be the IP of the NAS. That's why I'm struggling about this... But maybe I misunderstand the way the config file has to be read...

Babyface_male

May 15, 2018
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Javelin,
    can you please try to replace in the config your path to your network share ("\\DISKSTATION\Media Centre\Media Portal\") with the IP address of your diskstation (e.g. \\192.168.1.100\Media Centre\Media Portal\). This was the solution for me. The DNS name didn't work, but the IP address did.
    BW

Last edited:

Javelin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2006
    Nth Richmond NSW
    Home Country
    Thanks Babyface_male.

Substituted the IP address of my NAS in the path as suggested, was prompted for network credentials, entered credentials and ticked remember and all is good with my video folders.

Still having issues with Recorded TV though.

Sometimes it records fine
    Other times it starts a recording but won't stop. Had 1 recording go for 17+hours - it was only a 45 minute program - was unable to even stop it manually
    Sometimes it flips out when you try to record multiple channels simultaneously
    Other times it says it has started recording but the time counter remains at 0:00 and you can't access the file

I am running my TVService under an account with credentials that match my NAS so I don't think that is the problem.

Mediaportal shows programs are recording in the EPG and you can even see them in RecordedTV which is different to the problems you experience when you don't run TVservice under an account with credentials that match your NAS.

This was all working fine before windows updated.

Was thinking I might substitute the IP address of my NAS in the path for RecordedTV but you can't as you can only select the folder for RecordedTV using a file explorer tree.

Any help will be appreciated.

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Perth - Western Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Isn't it weird how these "Fixes" often work for some, but not others? I guess there are just so many variables in every Windows setup that it's impossible to know what is going to work.

So, substituting the IP Address for the DNS name of my NAS in the "Video > Folders" configuration did NOT work for me at all. What did work, was adding the details of my NAS to the "Hosts" file. Now, it absolutely amazes me that there haven't already been hundreds of people on this forum asking for help with this particular problem??? Because SURELY millions of people out there have already updated to version 1803 of Windows 10 (And let there be no doubt!! It is this update that has caused this issue - Thanks again Microsoft!!!) and surely there must be hundreds if not thousands of people who run MediaPortal and access Videos from a NAS??? So, you MUST all be having this issue - Yes?? I guess you're all just really smart and resolved it yourselves without assistance and I'm just really dumb :-(

So, for all those other people who are dumb like me :) Here's what you do:
    1. Run Notepad as Administrator (Right-click > Run as administrator - IMPORTANT - IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SAVE THE EDITED HOSTS FILE!!!)
    2. File > Open
    3. Navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    4. Change the filter from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All FIles (*.*)"
    5. Open the file called "Hosts"
    6. At the bottom of the file, add a new line containing the IP Address of your NAS, then a few spaces (The number is not important, but at least one space), then the DNS Name of your NAS. e.g. 10.0.0.150 My-NAS
    7. Save the file
    8. If you're superstitious like me, open the file again to double check the new line you added is still there :)

That's it!! You can continue to use the DNS Name of your NAS in the "Video > Folders" configuration.

For the record, I didn't figure this out myself. I found it elsewhere in this forum. But hopefully I've expanded the explanation enough so that anyone can understand it?

So, we're all good until Microsoft screws us over again :)

Cheers,
    Rainman.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)

In fact in latest Windows 1803, there is a change in SMB protocol, it seems SMB V1 is no longer working properly, i have seen this at works from a customer having issue with based linux server and NAS, ha add support for SMBV2 and all was back on track :p

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm not sure SMB V1 isn't working in 1803. It only is deactivated completely by default. Before it was partly enabled by default so now the user need to configure SMB himself if needed.

I have an Android TV Box with Kodi. Kodi only supports SMB V1 (indeed Kodi is the worst thing regarding SMB I've ever seen since decades) After re-activating V1 in Win10 1803 Kodi still can't access the SMB shares on my 1803 machines (I have upgraded the last system yesterday) I needed to fiddle a lot on the settings (manipulate the registry for example, increase the irpstacksize to dec 50) to get Kodi working but this also was the case with 1709 and 1703 versions of Win 10. If Kodi's SMB is working anything is working, I'm sure... By the way, the Android Box itself has no issues accessing the SMB shares on the 1803 machine without changing anything on Windows. So it is not the fault of the cheap Chinese piece of hardware or the OS, solely a Kodi issue...

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Hmmm i have Windows 2016 Server (no SMBv1) and Kodi on RPi and Androids, all work fine with windows shares ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom