Non Linear Stretch doesn't work if AR Video > AR Source (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    Non-linear stretch is broken if AR Video > AR Source

eg. if AR Video < AR Source, then image is horizontally stretched, then horizontally center compressed.
    however if AR Video > AR Source, then image is vertically stretched, then horizontally center compressed (instead of vertically center compressed)

Basically non linear stretch distorts an image vertically more than regular stretch mode.

It should either be enhanced to work with wide screen videos, or it needs to have it's name fixed and changed to "4:3 Stretch" / "4:3 Non Linear Stretch" / "Horizontal Non Linear Stretch"

Here are screenshots from MP on my 16:10 display, same problem exists on 16:9 display.

4:3 stretched, notice the circle is stretched horizontally and becomes an oval
    01.png

4:3 non-linear stretch, notice the central oval is somewhat corrected with horizontal squashing in the center
    02.png

1.85:1 Stretch, notice the circle is stretched vertically and becomes and oval
    03.png

1.85:1 non-linear stretch, the central oval is not corrected, it is exaggerated further.
    04.png

Steps to Reproduce:
    Download test videos, switch between non-linear stretch and normal stretch. Notice that 4:3 video is improved, however 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 video look worse.

Attachments

• Test Videos.rar
      203.7 KB
    Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    While using your videos, i can confirm the above.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't know the history of it, but I assume that Non-linear stretch was designed specifically for the 4:3 video -> 16:9 display situation i.e. it was never intended to be a 'generic' zoom mode.

Has it always worked like this i.e. is this actually a change in behaviour compared to the version of MP it was originally developed for ?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No it was bugged to begin with.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A bug is a feature that does not work as intended - the current behavior (from the above discussion) is long accepted, and is just a limitation of the feature.

If you want to propose a re-work of the feature then that's fine, but this is not a bug (IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom