[TV] North American Closed Captions (1 Viewer)

xvffx

Portal Pro
August 15, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi
A few things as a way to keep me busy :)
Setup: using mepo as a backend and kodi (nightly build with cc support) at the front
1: there's no cc using live tv even though cc is shown in mepo client. Is this the fault of kodi?
2: cc is shown when video is from a old recording from years ago such as hd mpeg2.
3: no cc from recent recordings (SD)

Just testing the SD mpeg2 and just looking at the basic stuff. (If closed captioning is working in mepo should work in kodi?... No h246 stuff yet)
Could this also be Mp TS issue ? Which it doesn't make sense as I am able to view cc in mp. (SD mpeg2)

Vff

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

1: there's no cc using live tv even though cc is shown in mepo client. Is this the fault of kodi?
    When timeshifting or recording digital channels (ATSC, clear QAM etc.), MediaPortal's TV Server takes the stream received from the tuner, pulls out the content for the channel(s) you want, and writes that content to the HDD. If you compare the content to the original broadcast you'd see almost zero modification. TV Server has no knowledge of the presence of EIA 608 or CEA 708 CC, and does not have to do anything special to preserve those CC. The CC comes naturally as part of the video stream.

All of the above is to say: yes, it is Kodi's fault if you don't see CC (assuming the channel broadcaster is actually broadcasting them!). Not that I like to blame.

Just testing the SD mpeg2 and just looking at the basic stuff. (If closed captioning is working in mepo should work in kodi?... No h246 stuff yet)
    As above: the display of EIA 608 and CEA 708 CC for digital recordings (ATSC, clear QAM etc.) depends entirely on the front end (ie. Kodi or MP).
    We can't make any claim about Kodi or Kodi's capabilities. If you're sure that CC exists in the streams, and Kodi claims to support CC, but you're not seeing CC... then I'd ask what is going on over at the Kodi forum.

Could this also be Mp TS issue ? Which it doesn't make sense as I am able to view cc in mp. (SD mpeg2)
    Chances of it being an "MP TS issue" are basically zero. As you say: if MP can display the CC then any other player can too (assuming they support CC). Other players may also be able to display CC for h.264 recordings/channels even though MP currently cannot. The h.264 thing is an MP [frontend] limit.

Regards,
    mm

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Awesome news owlsroost!

Mm and thank you for clearing that up for me. I ll hook up with kodi to test with them ( I did read that someone got cc using something else as the backend. Do you think mpclient for kodi would have anything to do with it? And who looks after mp client for kodi? (just asking)

Thanks
    Vff

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Quick update on the H264 CC - I've now got CC data parsing for H264 working inside a modified TsReader, so next stage is transferring that code into Core CC....
    Are you going to also keep the parsing inside TsReader so that use of Core CC is unnecessary [for MP]? This would have some advantages in terms of graph complexity and build/rebuild speed.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Quick update on the H264 CC - I've now got CC data parsing for H264 working inside a modified TsReader, so next stage is transferring that code into Core CC....
    Are you going to also keep the parsing inside TsReader so that use of Core CC is unnecessary [for MP]? This would have some advantages in terms of graph complexity and build/rebuild speed.

We need the updated Core CC filter for non-TV playback support anyway i.e. when TsReader is not used as the splitter.

Longer term, my thoughts so far are that the best arrangement for TV would be to put the CC parsing into TsReader (and maybe add a 'Line21' output pin), then add CC decoding to the DVBSubtitle filter - so that CC would be handled like DVB subs in inside MP. Note - I don't know how practical this might be, it's only ideas at present....

Any thoughts/comments/ideas ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Any thoughts/comments/ideas ?
    No, not really.
    For one thing I don't have enough understanding of CC or DVB subtitles to know how synergistic (similar, compatible, potential for shared code etc.) they would be.
    I'm also not clear what you mean when you refer to "non-TV playback support". That's possibly because I don't do any torrenting or recording processing, so not really familiar with the common practices for "subtitling" with mp4, mkv and others. :oops:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, okay.
    ...but would that capability require some config changes/extensions? ...because as far as I can see the videos section in MP config doesn't have any CC settings at this point? ...or do the TV settings get used because the file is a TS, even though it is played from the videos section with a non-TsReader splitter?

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi
    With regards to playing non TS videos.... There are still some cc data there (seem to phase out to be replace with subtitle ) i use them over subtitles. I like the black bar for easier reading. Some of my TS files are moved to videos for playback as well.
    If it means anything

Vff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom