Not Recognising DVD (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3

Description
When I try and play a DVD, MP just says there's no disc. I've tried it in both of my drives, both of which show the contents of the drive in Windows Explorer and allow me to play the VOBS in MPC-HC. I have DVDFab Passkey running to disable the protection.

Steps to Reproduce:
Try to play a DVD

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Anyone? Should I just use a third-party program to play DVDs?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Using LAV codecs for dvd, I get a real mixed bag whether a dvd will play or not, M$ video codec just will not work at all and causes MP to crash.

On further investigation, can see files in explorer, wmp will not play them, neither will vlc, these are 2-3 year old dvd's that do not seem to work, older ones seem fine without having to use any 3rd party software.

Suspect this may be encryption related, which takes this outside this forums scope, and into a grey area, so definitely no linking to encryption breaking software.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    By "third-party program" I meant Total Media Theatre or PowerDVD rather than anything dodgy ;) I don't think my problem's encryption-related though, as I can play the DVD in MPC-HC.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    LAV video decoder does not support DVD decoding (it's been mentioned several times in the doom9 thread recently). That said, if MP is saying 'No Disc' I suspect it's not a decoder problem....

Tony

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I have the DVD codec set to Cyberlink PDVD12 anyway.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I have the DVD codec set to Cyberlink PDVD12 anyway.

Please test with MS DVD navigator + MS DTV-DVD video decoder combination.

If I use that video codec ALL dvd's crash MP, strange that LAV works for me, have not got any other codecs installed to try, out all day otherwise would try a lot more dvd's to see why some play and some don't.

And the ones that will not play in MP, also will not play in WMP.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, the Videos plugin wasn't disabled but I didn't have "automatically add optical drives" ticked, so they weren't listed (I generally only use Videoes for browsing random folders that don't fit into my other plugins, like MovingPictures, MyTVSeries, etc, so didn't add the optical drives to keep it tidy). Once I ticked that I was able to play the DVD :)

I already had it set to use the MS Navigator (there's no other choice on this system) but set it to use MS Video/Audio codec and that works OK. I then tried again with PDVD12 video and ffdshow audio and that works apart from the fact that the DVD Menus don't highlight, which isn't a big problem with a mouse as you can see where you're clicking but obviously makes remote use impossible.

I'm not keen on using the MS codecs considering what PD said about them causing MP to crash so I'll try LAV video and ffdshow audio (I need ffdshow to mixdown/expand the audio to four speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom