Not recording TV on network drive (1 Viewer)

Strattos

Portal Member
September 24, 2010
Home Country
Hi guys, after years of pretty much trouble free service from my old HTPC running Media Portal, I've upgraded to a new system with a clean install of Media Portal.

Aside from the upgraded components, the major departure with my new HTPC is I've decided to store my TV recordings on a little NAS/Media server I've got running, which is where I've run into problems.

I can't get my HTPC to record shows on the network drive.

When I hit the record button, everything appears to be working - the record dialogue box comes up and the red indicator pops up indicating I'm recording.

However when I go into the Recorded TV section there's nothing there. Also, when I check Active Recordings, there's nothing in there either. And finally, nothing is showing up in the designated Recordings folder I've set up (I've called it Media Portal TV if you're looking through the attached logs).

I'm pretty sure I've got all the relevant permissions set up properly on the server as I can dump files, delete files etc in the recordings folder from my HTPC over the network via Windows Explorer without a problem.

In terms of how I set up Media Portal to record on the network drive, I first of all selected the relevant drive/folder in UNC format within the TV configuration area.

I then went into Services within Windows and set the TV service to Log On to my server, which all appears to have worked, including after it restarted the TV service. By the way, the TV service is only running on my HTPC - not the server. I don't have Media Portal installed on the server.

However, one thing which makes me think there's still a permission problem somewhere specifically with Media Portal is that when I try to delete a recording from the new recordings drive (I imported my old database), it won't allow me to delete anything. When I try to delete the same file within Windows Explorer over the network though, it DOES allow me to delete, which indicates to me something within Media Portal still hasn't got the relevant permissions.

Sorry about the essay!!! Just wanted to you give you as much info as possible to go on. Log attached.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

TsWriter log says:
    [2014-11-07 12:33:22,469] [8328628] [d68] - Recorder:unable to create file:'\\Supernas\G\Media Portal TV\Payback - PRIME7 Mildura - 2014-11-07.ts' 1326

The error code (1326) is documented here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681385(v=vs.85).aspx

ERROR_LOGON_FAILURE.

I'm pretty sure I've got all the relevant permissions set up properly on the server as I can dump files, delete files etc in the recordings folder from my HTPC over the network via Windows Explorer without a problem.
    That's all well and good... but the TV service usually runs under a system user account, which would have different security and permissions.

I then went into Services within Windows and set the TV service to Log On to my server, which all appears to have worked, including after it restarted the TV service.
    No idea what you mean by that.

However, one thing which makes me think there's still a permission problem somewhere specifically with Media Portal is that when I try to delete a recording from the new recordings drive (I imported my old database), it won't allow me to delete anything. When I try to delete the same file within Windows Explorer over the network though, it DOES allow me to delete, which indicates to me something within Media Portal still hasn't got the relevant permissions.
    MediaPortal tells TV Server to delete the recording. If TV Server can't create a recording then it is not surprising that it also can't delete recordings. As above: creating or deleting a recording requires the user account the TV service is using to have the required permissions etc.

Regards,
    mm

Strattos

Portal Member
    September 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks for taking the time to look through my logs and respond.

Hello

I then went into Services within Windows and set the TV service to Log On to my server, which all appears to have worked, including after it restarted the TV service.
    No idea what you mean by that.

Hmm maybe I've done this wrong then. I go into control panel/administrative tools/services and then choose TV Service properties. Within the TV Service properties I select the Log On tab, which by default appears to be set to Local System Account. I change this to the second option - 'This Account', and enter the user account details I've set up on my server. Is this the right thing to do?

The user account I've set up on the server is part of the Administrators group - I'm guessing this is correct?

Thanks for the additional information in your post, it's appreciated.

Cheers,

Strattos.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again :)

I go into control panel/administrative tools/services and then choose TV Service properties. Within the TV Service properties I select the Log On tab, which by default appears to be set to Local System Account. I change this to the second option - 'This Account', and enter the user account details I've set up on my server. Is this the right thing to do?
    The user name and password you can enter there are not [at least as far as I know] meant to be the NAS login details. They're login details for a user account on the HTPC. You could try changing them to your login details (ie. so the TV service would run using your user account), because we know that whatever account you're using can create/delete files on the NAS.

Note: The risk in changing those setting is that the account you use might not have enough permissions to do the stuff that TV Server needs to do. In other words, you might encounter unexpected problems if you change them.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess he already created a user on the win box which also has access on the nas. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to set it on the TV service. I'd check if the credentials are really the same on the win sys and the nas. And focus on case sensitivity as well as lots of Linux based nases do care about that.

Strattos

Portal Member
    September 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Problem solved, thanks heaps guys!!!

mm, thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. Once I used the account details of my HTPC in the TV Server log on it worked perfectly. My bad. User accounts/networks still get me confused obviously!

While I had an account set up to have total access to my NAS from the HTPC, the account I was using on my HTPC was different to the one I had set up on the NAS, if that makes sense.

Luca - this exactly. I had different credentials on the HTPC and Nas.

All works perfectly now. Thanks for taking the time to look into my problem guys. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom