Nova T 500 getting 2 cards to install for 4 tuners (1 Viewer)

IceHappy

Portal Member
July 7, 2006
Devon England
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 2.1 SVN 12192006 15 35 rev 12254
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: XP Pro Sp2 with latest updates
CPU Type: Intel Dual Core
HDD: 2 x 300 Seagate Barracudas SATA
Memory: 2 gigs
Motherboard: SuperMicro PDSLA
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Lakeport 945G/P
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: Nvidia PCX5900 NOW replaced with Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT with Heat Piping 2 technology (FANLESS lovely:)!
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy 4 Pro
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 2.5E Latest dl from Hauppauge
2. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova T 500
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: 2.5E Latest dl from Hauppauge

I am lucky enough two have two of these cards which will make a total of 4 tuners However I have installed these two cards into two computers both of SuperMicro Motheboards. I can install both into xp pro without any problems. Device Manager very happy! Media Portal configuration will only see one of the two cards. Media Portal allows both tuners on that one card to be installed. When trying to install the second card tuner 1 and Media Portal exclaims that there are no more turners to install. I have installed each of these cards by themselves and they work very very well in both computers but the moment you install the second card Media Portal refuses to install it even though XP Pro Device Manager shows that both cards are indeed installed..... Please help as I have two machines I need to fix so okay I am now admitting to have qty 4 of these cards... The second computer specs are listed below... Please help

IceHappy

Portal Member
July 7, 2006
Devon England
Home Country
I am Sorry I didn't make myself very clear

Thank you very much for your reply. I checked my files against that thread and saw I had the correct files but then if I have one of the two cards working and that one card has two tuners then that patch is not valid since I have two out of the four tuners working also the second computer that I am trying this install on is as I state XP PRO SPK2 with latest updates. Again this patch is for MCE. I must point out again that both XP PRO and XP MCE sees both cards in device manager! Media Portal only will see ONE card TWO Tuners on that card. When asking Media Portal to locate the third tuner I received an error message that there are no more tuners installed. Both machines very happy to record two programs at the same time different channels just fine. Bloody fantastic and I MUST SAY MEDIA PORTAL IS EXCELLENT. When MS rolled out MCE for resellers I was a royal pain their bottoms. They kept taking credit for things this company and ShowShifter did. Of course I raised my hand and asked like the game show, "Who was Showshifter" etc. I never like MCE so when I built my bedroom system I installed XP Pro and Team Media Portal, it seems like there has always been Media Portal installed. I keep MCE on the living room CPU so that when reading in the forum of problems I can check between the two OS's and report back if there are any differences. Such as now but then there is no difference between the two OS's! Both OS's running Media Portal latest SVN refuse to see the second card THIRD tuner. Of course there has been problems running Media Portal and always udating to the latest SVN but that is too be expected with Beta cutting edge software. Go Team Go! Thanks again for your post but I are still broke. Going crazy now. IceHappy

IceHappy

Portal Member
July 7, 2006
Devon England
Home Country
Quick solution but not a solution but work around.

I have move out one Nova T 500 and put in HVR 1300. This gives me 3 Freeview tuners working no problem and that is in both computers. Sure wish I could have 4 with the two Nova T 500s.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi IceHappy, there used to be an issue where two idenitcal tuners were not picked up properly, but that was solved quite a while ago. From what you say, you have the latest SVN so this shouldn't affect you.
    Maybe it still exists with your cards?
    Can you trry adding the second crd and then checking the configuration.log file to see what the error is?
    Also, you might have better luck with the TV engine v3, which doesn't need the capture card definitions file and detects the cards differently.

One last thing, does the software for the cards detect the four tuners ok? Maybe there is a limit with resources or something?

IceHappy

Portal Member
    July 7, 2006
    Devon England
    Home Country
    Hello and thanks for the reply

Hi Marcusb

I will answer your questions

"Can you trry adding the second crd and then checking the configuration.log file to see what the error is?"

I will do this tomorrow to the Air cooled computer as it is easier to get to than underneath the house this is the computer running XP Pro and I will then have a look at the configuration.log and post the results.

"One last thing, does the software for the cards detect the four tuners ok? Maybe there is a limit with resources or something?"

Yes.

"Also, you might have better luck with the TV engine v3, which doesn't need the capture card definitions file and detects the cards differently."

I have not looked at TV engine v3 - I may have a look at it tomorrow since I can back up my Media Portal just in case I screw up!!! What I find nice about Media Portal is that if you have more than media player in the house ie front room bed room and children rooms and one has identical kits then when one system is configured that Media Portal Directory can be copied to the other computers and job is done after going into the configuration making sure the TV Tuners still there and know about their channels that you want them to know. Job done:)!

I will let you know the results tomorrow as it is now 1930 and its time for dinner...
    regards
    IceHappy

jazZman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi IceHappy,
    I wish that I had found this thread before I bought my second Nova-t 500. I am having the same issue as you discribed, I can get one of the Nova-t's to work but MP can't see the second one. If I add another card (Dvico Fusion plus) MP see it fine.
    Did you manage to get your second Nova-t working??

thanks

Jamie

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    I also had a similar problem trying to install two dual Dvico's (one was a version 1 card PCI+USB, and the other was a version 4 card USB+USB).

With this setup I could only ever have one of the dual cards working at the same time. However config.exe would allow me to add the cards, but I'd get 'unable to create graph' errors.

I believe this is down to the definitions.xml file, and using TV3 may solve the problem.

IceHappy

Portal Member
    July 7, 2006
    Devon England
    Home Country
    Hello Everyone who has or will read this!

I am still having this problem of two Nova-T 500's working in Media Portal! I am currently using Media Portal 2.3 with the last SVN dated 2007 12 30 100 CET - has anyone managed to get this working yet???

Thanks for any light on the subject!
    IceHappy

Muschi

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    have same problem with latest SVN and Hauppauge Nova-T USB2 and Nova-T 500 connected.
    DVB-Patch from MCE do not solve the problem. => 2. error.log

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom