OK Button broken on remote controll, how change the function to another button? (1 Viewer)

andy_328

Portal Pro
November 19, 2014
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello,

the OK button from the TBS remote controler send a wrong value to the recivier. I want to use the "0" button instead the "OK". In the mediaportal config,

General -> Keys and Sounds -> Global Action, I have changed the value to ACTION_SET_ITEM. Some stuff works fine, but when I launch all channels and want to swtich to another it doesnt work. is there something else which I can try? Just wanna use the 0 button as the OK button, which sent the value 4 instead of enter

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The OK button from the TBS remote controller sends a wrong value to the receiver.
    When you say TBS remote controller, do you mean the remote control that is included with TBS tuner cards?

I have a TBS 6284 PCI-Express tuner card, and that includes a TBS remote control and infrared receiver. Unfortunately, the IR receiver plugs into the tuner card. As a result, the IR receiver needs its own driver and setup utility (these are included with the TBS tuner card). I tried the TBS IR setup utility when I first got the tuner card, but found that the setup utility did not offer enough customisation, so decided not to use it. I now use a standard WMC-compatible remote control with its own IR receiver that plugs into a USB socket.

Have you tried using the TBS IR setup utility to get your remote working? The utility is called TBSVHID. It should be on your installation CD, or you can look on the TBS website to find it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yes exactly, I mean the remote controler included with the TBS tuner card. This controller pugs into the tuner card as well, but I dont mind about that, as it worked fine until now. I know the TBSVHID utility, and when I press the OK button it shows the number 4 instead of nothing or the enter function. So tried to change the action from the "0" button into the mediaportal config, some things are working even fine, but its not really the "enter" function. I have contacted the support as well, coz its really unclear why the TBS utility recives a wrong number from one day to another. it's weird

thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    This controller plugs into the tuner card as well, but I dont mind about that, as it worked fine until now.
    If nothing has changed on your computer (MP config, TBSVHID config, Windows updates), it seems likely that your remote has developed a hardware problem (remotes gradually wear out). Is your remote still under warranty? If so, TBS (or the retailer from whom you purchased the tuner card) may supply a replacement free of charge.

If the warranty has expired on your tuner/remote, and you want to find a workaround, I think (not sure) that it would be better to use the TBSVHID utility to define the new button mapping, rather that using "MP Config" to define a new keyboard mapping. This is because the MP keyboard mapping has various conditional definitions, which complicates matters. A simple one-for-one replacement would be better (with no conditionality).

The problem with using "0" to mean OK is that "0" is used for other things in MP, such as selecting channels by number (e.g. channel "101"), and deleting files. I have just had a look at my TBS remote, and buttons that are near OK but which are less likely to cause problems in MP would be: CLEAR, STAR ("*"), and HASH ("#"). CLEAR would be my choice.

So, the solution that may work is to use the TBSVHID utility to change the definition of CLEAR so that it sends ENTER. This is a straight replacement, and the MP config won't need changing. However, I have never used the TBS remote with MP, so this suggestion is guesswork on my part.

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi, I guess I cant change nothing on the TBS utility, coz the remote controller doens't send any ENTER function at all. Anyway, the support doesn't reply too, so I guess I need a new controler. As I am not at home to configure a new controller, is there one which is a "real" plug and play remote controller? means over USB just plug in and the main function are already working?
    thanks for your support
    Bye

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Is there one which is a "real" plug and play remote controller? means over USB just plug in and the main function are already working?
    My general recommendation when choosing a remote control to use with MP is to buy one which satisfies the following requirements:

(1) Is described by the seller as "Microsoft MCE compatible" or "Microsoft WMC compatible".
    (2) Has "RC6" printed on the remote or packaging ("RC6" is the IR signalling protocol).
    (3) Is sold with its own IR receiver which plugs into a USB socket.

Unfortunately it can sometimes be difficult to confirm via the internet that all of these conditions are satisfied. :( As to a specific recommendation, you should search online for remotes that you can purchase in your locality. I just tried searching for "microsoft remote control" on www.amazon.co.uk and found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Micr...9087&sr=1-2&keywords=microsoft+remote+control

I have the Dell-branded versions of both the remote and the IR receiver, and can confirm that they work without problem with MP. There is one review that complains about poor range, but most of the reviews on amazon.com seem favourable (so the reviewer who gave the one-star rating probably had a defective unit). I also found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Infrared..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1H81F1KMHH9MJQASNRMY

I believe that this has been discontinued by HP, but units are still available. Note that there are several versions of the HP remote: some have the four colour buttons, and others do not. The one above does not, so you might want to look for a supplier of the version that has the colour buttons (if you want them). Ebay can be quite a good source for this remote. I also found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Con...9087&sr=1-1&keywords=microsoft+remote+control

This is actually the Ortek VRC-1100, which is sold under other brand names, including Gmyle (the one above) and Hama (model 00052451). On Amazon, the Gmyle is slightly cheaper than the Hama, but the units are identical. In the past I have generally recommended MP users to avoid this remote, as it is not an RC6 remote, and so is more difficult to setup. However, over the past few weeks I have been using this remote myself (I have been developing a new MP configuration file for it), and I have grown to quite like it. But you really need to use it with an AutoHotKey script, in order to circumvent some of the remote's quirks. This is not a problem, as AutoHotKey is freeware, and I have included the necessary AutoHotKey script with the new MP config file; see this post:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...p-buttons-properly.131638/page-4#post-1171343

Finally, you might also consider buying a universal remote, such as one from the "Harmony" or "One-for-All" ranges. These can usually be programmed to control multiple devices (e.g. HTPC, TV, amplifier, etc.). I quite like the Harmony 650, and the One-for-All URC-7140. The disadvantage is that they are not sold with an IR receiver, so the receiver needs to be purchased separately. This website shows some RC6 IR receivers:

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC6-Infrared-Receiver:::2.html?XTCsid=saqekudd9fotqa1m8s5u2sc1b2

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    thank you very much for your support. I will think over about choosing the right one..)

thanks
    byebye

andy_328

Portal Pro
    November 19, 2014
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi CyberSimian, I haven't still got a new one as I was abroad all the time..), seems that all these dovices are hard availabe on ebay within short delivery time. Maybe there is another one which would do the same work?

thank you very much
    bye

SHU ENN

September 12, 2018
    Home Country
    China China
    Hi why is the ok button on my panasonic tv's remote control is not working in Youtube app only but it's working as usual when the Youtube app is closed and the other places in the tv? Kindly please solved it for me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom