old pda as an external screen (1 Viewer)

Red Centre

Portal Member
October 21, 2004
Sydney
I have an old O2 xda pocketpc phone, that has a buggered battery, somthing wrong with the phone unit, but otherwise functions without any problem. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how I could convert this to an external MP display, and mount it on the front of my htpc?

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    First you would need some kind of network connection to your htpc, which - as far as I know - is only possible via USB with the xda.

Then a solution could be vnc server on your htpc and a vnc client on your xda which is capable of scaling. There is a free vnc-client for pocket pcs working with .Net but i just can't remember the name. Have a look at www.xda-developers.com. This is where I found an overview over all possibilities to remote controle a PC with a pocket pc - there you'll also find this vnc client.

With this solution you have kind of a clone-mode from all you see on your htpc on your xda.

cheers, Michael

Thundercats

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I know this is a very old topic, but i had the same brainstorm:

i use my (correction.... OUR ) HTPC mainly for watching movies and listening to music (i know, most of u do 2). But... when listening to music i dont want to switch-on my big TV screen to select the music i want to hear. Innobec Side Window is an "old" programm to extend ur desktop to the screen of a pocketpc with the ability to even control mediaplayer etc. by using the touchscreen of ur pda.

I own an ancient MIO/Mitac 168 which is eating dust at the moment. It would be nice to use my MIO to control (part of) mediaportal. I could think of a kinda mini-MP player or so, in which i can browse through my musicfiles. Yes, i know i can drag Windows Mediaplayer to the screen of the pda and select (outside of MP) the musicfiles. But i use MediaPortal also to listen to webradio (as a plugin). I want to access this plugin with my pda, so the PDA is used as a remotecontrol for switching/browsing throught all the webradiostations.

Is there a way to use sidewindow to control MP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom