Old TV Engine - how to (1 Viewer)

FdL

Portal Pro
April 17, 2009
How can I know whether I have the old TV engine installed? I updated to 1.0.2 and noticed the option was unselectable and said something like "remove".

I know it's not supported, but I still want to try using it. Do I have to reinstall everything or it's somewhere in my system (I upgraded from 1.0.1)?

Is there a way to manually install it and select it as the default TV engine?

TV-Server Version: 1.0.2
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
CPU Type: Intel Celeron D 2,6
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard: Intel 915gevl
Video Card: nvidia 7600
Video Card Driver: latest
Sound Card: Genius Sound Maker 5.1
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: KWorld PE360a
1. TV Card Type: analog
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Intervideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    If you already have the TV-Server installed, then just uninstall it....which will automatically enable the old TV-engine. Alternatively remove MediaPortal, and reinstall....but when the installer ask if you will be using HD-TV then say no....and it will not install the TV-Server.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I believe you have to say "no" to whether you want to use MP to watch TV. This is strange I know. You are then left with only MP installed which includes the TV Engine2. You will not be asked about HDTV if you select "no" to TV.

Cheers,
    Colin

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi,

I believe you have to say "no" to whether you want to use MP to watch TV. This is strange I know. You are then left with only MP installed which includes the TV Engine2. You will not be asked about HDTV if you select "no" to TV.

If thats the case, then they must have changed the installer.....

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    Yeah, the installer doesn't make it too clear as what the result of your choices is going to be :/
    For example, until now I was never aware that the MP TV server installation depended at all on me saying I don't want HDTV. I guess I can try uninstalling TV Server. In case I want it back, can it be installed independently from MP?

In any case, if they are actually both installed when you do choose to have TV Server, isn't there a way to chose which to use? A path to edit, some configuration tweak?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    Thanks, I'll try it ASAP!

Also, it's a Celeron D, not a Pentium. I wish it was a Pentium >.>

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Yeah, the installer doesn't make it too clear as what the result of your choices is going to be :/
    For example, until now I was never aware that the MP TV server installation depended at all on me saying I don't want HDTV. I guess I can try uninstalling TV Server. In case I want it back, can it be installed independently from MP?

In any case, if they are actually both installed when you do choose to have TV Server, isn't there a way to chose which to use? A path to edit, some configuration tweak?

Paranoid,

I think the above is the reason your survey showed lots of users using TV server. The install is not clear all.

I'm still convinced 90% of users only need TVE2 and not an over complicated server/sql install etc etc. Surely most just want to watch TV on one PC? Maybe that would have been a better question in the survey. Rather than how many use TV server? They only use TV server because on install you get asked "Do you use MP to watch TV". If you say yes then TV server is installed. Whereas if you say no, TVE2 is used. So anyone who wants to watch TV will never answer no to that question unless you know the "secret". Hence you get a lot of users using TV server when they probably don't "need" it. I hope you see what I'm trying to say?

I think you guys have done a great job in updating TVE2 and it works great for me now (except Blue3 4:3 skin issue with Recorded TV view - see blue3 skin feedback thread where I have posted the small issue https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/blue3-skin-feedback-293/recorded-tv-view-error-59489/). I'm absolutely gutted that TVE2 will not be supported anymore. It does the job fantastically well and isn't installing lots of other "paraphinalia".

Its a real shame TVE2 is getting dropped.

Cheers,
    Colin

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    Not surprisingly, my card isn't detected by TVE2.
    Is there any possible way to make it work by editing a profiler or something? I've read something like that somewhere in the forum, but to be honest the technical complexity and the structure of the forums overwhelms me.

I was thinking about taking a graph edit configuration for the most similar chip (which would be Philips SAA7134) and editing it to somehow reference my tuner. Could that ever work?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I'm still convinced 90% of users only need TVE2 and not an over complicated server/sql install etc

Which is over complicated the fact that TVServer auto detects cards, where as the old engine needs to have every card id added for it to work.
    The inability to watch\record HD channels, not able to watch\record more than 1 channel per tuner.

The benefits far outweight the sql database running :)

The installer should take care of most of this, all a user needs to do is put the password in first use, and if you are using this as app on your home pc, then the last thing you need is MP running, better to have a small service with very little overheads, ie 1% cpu and no directx running to slow things down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom