Origen AE s16 opinions? (1 Viewer)

nanogod

Portal Pro
March 22, 2007
Bamberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have ended up buying this case.

VFD/Irtrans works brilliantly - I just installed the irtrans sw, set it to irtrans in mediaportal and it works 100% out of the box.

IRtrans can learn anything... so yeah you could use it with any other remote.

Great! and does it work under XP?
I also plan to buy this case, but i dont want to buy vista...

All ok with this case?

Greetings.

fphredd

Portal Member
December 14, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
With the S16V instead of the S16T (VFD instead of TFT), do you need to use a regular screen at all with MP or can you just use the remote to choose music (that's all my HTPC will be used for)?

Thanks.

aba101280

Portal Pro
April 23, 2006
Hi all,

a question; I have the S14V and the IRTrans Software works great with the MCE Remote. I then wanted to use the VFD Display and activated the external plugin in the configuration. I used the attached settings.

But it does not work. The display alway shows the time. Do I have to activate something else. I use Windows XP.

Regards,

Alex

Attachments

• vfd.jpg
    vfd.jpg
    36.9 KB

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Great! and does it work under XP?
I also plan to buy this case, but i dont want to buy vista...

All ok with this case?

Greetings.

Hi there, yep, everything works, I am running XP as well. I had a hard time to get the power button on the remote working, you need to examine the instructions in the support section on OrigenAE's website that show's you how to set it up. However, I haven't tried to set up the VFD yet, it's still showing the clock only, I expect there will need to be some messing around with the VFD plugin settings/files.

There's always something else to try. :)

With the S16V instead of the S16T (VFD instead of TFT), do you need to use a regular screen at all with MP or can you just use the remote to choose music (that's all my HTPC will be used for)?

Thanks.

Not quite sure what you mean?
I use the remote to browse to my music and play a track, that works just fine. I have my big screen turned on though. If you're talking about just staring at the built in VFD, and having your TV turned off... I have not yet tried to get that to work. I am not sure if MP does that at all. Not to sure what the VFD should display.

Hi all,

a question; I have the S14V and the IRTrans Software works great with the MCE Remote. I then wanted to use the VFD Display and activated the external plugin in the configuration. I used the attached settings.

But it does not work. The display alway shows the time. Do I have to activate something else. I use Windows XP.

Regards,

Alex

Sorry man, I wish I knew. There are several threads about configuration files on the boards though for the VFD Display plugin. Also, you will want to make sure you can write to the VFD to get it to display stuff first (like what you type). I know there is instructions for this kind of thing on OrigenAE's site. It's a start I guess.

nanogod

Portal Pro
March 22, 2007
Bamberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey guys!
I have finally bought myself this fantastic case.
But i cant get the vfd to work.

Any news here?
Cooper, have you got your display to work proper?

Greetings...

EDIT: Great News: i have got a working VFD in my Origen S16V case now!!!!! :D :D :D

just go here: Download Port I/O

Download, install, thats it! works great!

Of course you have to enable and configure the ext. diplay plugin...
Choose IR Trans LCD/VFD driver 1.0
Choose Localhost
Leave everything else on standart.

THATS IT!

Now Origen are really the greatest cases ;-)

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi Murks,

Yep the Remote works just fine, there are no problems. You just have to install the Irtrans software, and ensure MP is configured to use an IRtrans remote.

Also there are some general annoyances with IRtrans, look on the wiki - you have to muck around with the config file. But that is IRtrans, not MP.

I haven't tried to do any VFD stuff yet (still). It's on the todo list. My wife likes the clock anyway!

Koschel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2005
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Some hints on the S16T Series: There are two version on the market, on with IR-Trans, which works fine with XP and Vista and with the BBe+ Modul which only works under Vista without problems. There is no BBe driver for XP available, but the e-home receiver driver from XP does the job.
    If someone is looking forward to buy a S16T, the one withthe IR-Trans is the better choice.
    (IR-Trans ones have a blue layer, BBe a green)

SteveZissou

Portal Member
    January 24, 2009
    Hey guys!
    I have finally bought myself this fantastic case.
    But i cant get the vfd to work.

Any news here?
    Cooper, have you got your display to work proper?

Greetings...

EDIT: Great News: i have got a working VFD in my Origen S16V case now!!!!! :D :D :D

just go here: Download Port I/O

Download, install, thats it! works great!

Of course you have to enable and configure the ext. diplay plugin...
    Choose IR Trans LCD/VFD driver 1.0
    Choose Localhost
    Leave everything else on standart.

THATS IT!

Now Origen are really the greatest cases ;-)

reactivating this old post just to inform that the Download Port I/O software is not required for the VFD of the Origenae S16V to work - with Vista anyway, don't know about other OS. Anyway just follow the settings posted by nanogod and you'll be all good.

BTW This case in combination with MediaPortal is a htpc dream come true, have 4 tera plates in there a huge thermalright 128 cooler and everything working really nice with good temperatures even when operating 24/7 :) can really recommend it. I will try to install a 5th hdd in the futrue as soon as 2TB plates are affordable :D

steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom