OTA MPG for Satalite (1 Viewer)

xPETEZx

Portal Member
August 6, 2010
Home Country
England England
Hey,

I have been using MediaPortal for some years, mainly with DVB-T and then DVB-T2 tuners.
Recently moved into a house which still had a Sky dish so picked up a DVB-S2 USB satalite tuner to try get some more channels. Mainly interested in the additional music ones.

Had a bit of nightmare with the supplier and went through lots of different drivers before I got the card working stably.

Now it works a charm. The only issue I have is that it wont grab EPG unless I have been using it.
So if I watch a Satalite channel for a while, when I stop there will be bits of EPG populated on various other channels too.
However I cant find whats causing it.

On all my cards (T2 and S2) I have the option for grab EPG while watching checked.
For the T2 cards this doesn't seem to matter. The EPG is always nicely populated.

Appreciate any help. Hope its something obvious I have missed somewhere.

Cheers.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    I get EPG fine for dvb-T.
    Those settings are all set as described in your link.
    It's only dvb-S where I don't get EPG unless I watch a channel for a time.

Is there any settings which need to be set on the card itself?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Those settings are all set as described in your link.
    Have you enabled the idle EPG grabber or not?
    Are the channel(s) you've ticked in the TV EPG Grabber sub-section DVB-T or DVB-S/S2?

Is there any settings which need to be set on the card itself?
    The "allow card to be used for EPG grabbing" option needs to be ticked... but that setting is enabled by default:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

At this point if my advice is not helping then I strongly suggest you post log files. Log files will give the technical detail that is necessary to help further. Please use the MediaPortal Watchdog tool with option 3 to collect all the relevant log files into a convenient zip for attaching.

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks Tony72! Sorry for the late response, was away the last few days.

That has got me a lot further.

I ticked the "FreeSat Info" radio channel, and now about 1/3 of my Channels have up to date EPG information.

The rest however are still all blank.

Is there anythingelse I can check? I already changed the setting as suggested earlier to remove the "Store data only for selected channels" and then put a tick on just BBC One.

I did re-start the EPG grabber, and left it for a good few hours. So it should have had a chance to get the data it needs.

Cheers!

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    The Freesat Info radio channel will give you EPG for the official Freesat channels only. There are some channels where there's a Freesat version and a non-Freesat version of the channel, e.g. Pick TV, there's "Pick" and "Pick FSAT"; make you add the Freesat version to your channel list, and you'll get EPG for it from Freesat Info. Also make sure you've weeded out all the scrambled channels that don't show up as scrambled; if you can't watch them anyway, no point trying to sort EPG data for them.

Some non-Freesat channels seem to provide their own EPG data, France 24 is the only one I have set up that way. I have "Store data only for selected channels" ticked, and only "France Eng" ticked in the TV EPG grabber channel list.

For some of the others, you can use WebEPG or one of the other XML solutions to fill in some of the holes, that grabs data from some online TV guides, it can take a bit of work to set up though. See http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...001_TV-Server/Configuration/13_Plugins/WebEPG for info on WebEPG. Only the RadioTimes grabber works for me, I had the digiguide grabber working in the past, but I think I had to modify it, and on my current HTPC I just haven't been bothered, so I just grab the channels that are available via the RadioTimes grabber.

I still have a bunch of channels with no EPG data. In the past, I used WebGrab+Plus, which is pretty powerful, and managed to find grabbers that worked for almost all the channels, but I just haven't bothered with my current setup, I have the channels that I actually care about, so good enough. I guess it depends how much effort you want to put into it.

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the help!
    Manily use FreeSat for the music channels, and unfortunately about half of them are not on WebEPG :(

The annoying thing is if I watch the channels for a while, the EPG shows up?
    There must be a way to grab it OTA if they provide it after watching?

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Still struggling with Satalite OTA MPG.

Tried today, and watched a few hours of Kerrang! in the background, and by the end of it I had almosta full MPG for all my satalaite channels.

Seems sthe grab EPG during streaming works, just not the idle scanning.

Any ideas? Or anybody else had/seen this? Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Seems sthe grab EPG during streaming works, just not the idle scanning.
    Very very unlikely.
    As I said in my first response, it's more likely you haven't enabled the idle grabber, or your configuration is no good. The more channels you enable, the longer it takes for the idle grabber to do its cycle. Therefore you should be enabling as few channels as possible.

Any ideas? Or anybody else had/seen this?
    I asked questions that you appear to have completely ignored:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/ota-mpg-for-satalite.132445/#post-1156986

Until you answer, there's no more advice or ideas I can offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom