OTA Recording (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am currently using a Hauppauge remote, so if I obtain an Hauppauge tuner should the remote work as is?
    If you're asking whether you'll be able to reuse the remote that came with your Colossus with a new and different Hauppauge tuner, my answer would be: I'm not sure.
    If you're asking whether you'll be able to use any remote that comes with a new Hauppauge tuner, my answer would be: it depends exactly which remote it is. Most Hauppauge remotes just work with MP. However there've been a few reports over recent years that some do not work with MP. If that happens to you, I'd be happy to help make it work.

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are there any disadvantages of using a USB tuner with MP as long as it is ATSC/ WMC compatible? Are they being used successfuly with MP? Thanks again

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are there any disadvantages of using a USB tuner with MP as long as it is ATSC/ WMC compatible?
    Generally speaking: no. If USB is convenient for you, that's what I'd recommend you get.

The only problem I recall being reported which is specific to USB tuners is that occasionally on certain machines (ie. this problem may never affect you) Windows assigns them a new device identifier. This in turn causes TV Server to recognise the tuner as a new tuner with no configuration, which means recordings and live TV will fail until you copy the configuration to the "new" tuner. My memory is that this has been reported only a handful of times in all the years (5+) that I've been working on MP. Therefore the chances of it affecting you are extremely slim. I only mention it because you asked if there are any disadvantages.

re they being used successfuly with MP?
    Yes, definitely - by a lot of people. I'd guess as many or more people use USB tuners as compared with PCIe or PCI.

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    And what about programs already recorded from my DirectV STB? Will I be able to access then once I move to an antenna for OTA? Any tricks I will need in order to be able to do this? Thanks, Dave

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    And what about programs already recorded from my DirectV STB? Will I be able to access then once I move to an antenna for OTA?
    Yes. They don't go anywhere.

Any tricks I will need in order to be able to do this?
    Nope, no tricks.
    All recordings - new and old - will appear in the recorded TV list just like they always have.

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    I know this transition from DirectV to ATSC Antenna should be easy but I am failing to get it work and would appreciate some help if possible.
    I installed the Hauppauge 1600 card and the drivers.
    I connected the antenna that I know works since I tried it directly to the TV Tuner.
    I used to TV Server to disable the Colossus (it is still in the computer) and Enabled the 1600 card and mapped the dozen or so channels to the card.
    I change by Schedules Direct channel lineup to these dozen or so channels.
    When I restart everything and start MP, it still has all the DirecTV channels (I did say to reload channels when TV service is restored) and when I select a program from the guide it says "No Card Available". I have also lost my remote's control over MP.
    What have I done incorrectly or not at all? Many thanks for suggestions. Dave

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I used to TV Server to disable the Colossus (it is still in the computer) and Enabled the 1600 card and mapped the dozen or so channels to the card.
    As I previously said: you need to scan in the OTA channels. Mapping is wrong.
    Once you've scanned in the channels you should be able to view them (ie. see the video and hear the audio) in MediaPortal. The EPG may not show... but don't worry about that. Get the channels working for a start. Deal with the EPG later.

I change by Schedules Direct channel lineup to these dozen or so channels.
    When I restart everything and start MP, it still has all the DirecTV channels (I did say to reload channels when TV service is restored)...
    To get rid of the old DirecTV channels, you must tick the "delete channels when lineup changes" option in the SchedulesDirect plugin advanced options tab when you reload...
    ...OR simply delete the DirecTV channels from TV Server Configuration -> TV Channels section.

...and when I select a program from the guide it says "No Card Available".
    This wouldn't have happened if you had scanned in the channels as previously instructed. ;)

I have also lost my remote's control over MP.
    One thing at a time. We'll deal with the remote after you have the channels working.

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks again. I have scanned the channels and got about a dozen on the ATSC card. Colossus is disabled. I start MP, turn TV ON and get NO CARD AVAILABLE. My log is attached. Thanks again, Dave

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    turn TV ON
    Here's your mistake.
    Just stop and think about what you're trying to do there for a moment.

Q: If you simply turn on TV without selecting a channel first, which channel do you think MP is going to select?
    A: The last channel you were watching. It's the most sensible thing MP can do when you don't specify what channel you're actually intending to watch.

Q: What would the last channel you were watching have been?
    A: A DirecTV channel.

You know that you've disabled your Colossus, so none of the DirecTV channels are going to work.
    ...and that's why you're seeing the error message.

Instead of just trying to turn TV on, you should select "channels" and select one of the OTA channels that was found in the scan.
    To make it obvious which channels were found in the scan, I strongly recommend you delete all the old DirecTV channels before doing anything else. They're obviously causing problems for you.

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    OK, I have video but have no audio. Coming from the computer as HDMI but not getting any sound. Any suggestions? Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom