PC Completely Freezes when watching TV or Video through MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
November 20, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I have been struggling with my HTPC for a few weeks now, the problem seems to be with MediaPortal and codecs but I might be completely wrong!

The issue seems to be when watching live TV or recorded TV, if I watch something like 4oD through internet explorer so outside of MediaPortal the PC works fine.

When as mentioned I try to watch live TV or previously recorded TV the system will completely freeze, if I use the LAV codecs it seems to freeze after a few minutes so very quickly. I have just changed them to be Microsoft and it seemed fine for about 30 minutes on BBC One so I changed the channel to BBC One HD and it froze the PC completely again after a few minutes.

Nothing responds at this point so I have to do a hard reset or full power down.

I have just changed the codecs to AMD and am watching BBC One again and it has worked so far so I am going to leave it for an hour and see what happens, so I will report back with this.

Not sure if the MediaPortal logs would help with the machine completely freezing? If so which ones do I need to upload? I see one called MediaPortal and one called MediaPortal Error which seems to have an issue with PS connecting to TV Server I am assuming this is the Power Scheduler?

I will try and disable this thinking about it to see if that makes a difference.

Any help appreciated I am very new to MediaPortal but when I have had it working I have been very impressed with it.

I don't know how to post the system specs but I think I have set it so it is my signature so hopefully you will be able to see that!

Just out of curiosity would I be best purchasing a dedicated graphics card rather than using the on-board?

Cheers :)
Chris[DOUBLEPOST=1384980830][/DOUBLEPOST]System Type: Singleseat with TV-Server
MP-Version: 1.5
MediaPortal Skin: Titan
Windows Version: Windows 8.1
CPU: AMD A10 5700
Mainboard: Gigabyte F2A75M-D3H
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A133C
HDD: OCZ Agility 3 128GB SSD
GFX-Card: On-board
1. TV Card: TBS 6820
1. TV-Card Tuners: dvb-t
HTPC Case: Silverstone
Display Connection: HDMI
TV Provider: Freeview HD

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
November 20, 2013
Home Country
BBC One worked for around an hour last night without crashing I then changed to Channel 4 and it worked for around 10 - 15 minutes before I went to bed.

When I get back from work later I will leave it on Channel 4 for a few hours and see if it crashes then try a HD channel again.

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
November 20, 2013
Home Country
I tried using the debug mode and the first option and the PC as expected locked up as I had it on BBC One HD.

It didn't produce any logs though as when the machine freezes it is completely unresponsive, so I have to as mentioned hard reset the PC

I then loaded the debug again and chose option 3 which has produced the attached logs will they be any good?

I am going to give it a go now on none HD channels see how long it lasts.

Cheers for taking the time to help out

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    There is an exception in tvserver log.

'KNCBDACTRL.dll': The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.KNCAPI.KNCBDA_CI_Disable(UInt32 m_iDeviceIndex)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.KNCAPI.CloseCI()
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.KNCAPI.Dispose()
    at TvLibrary.Release.DisposeToNull[E](E& o)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.ConditionalAccess..ctor(IBaseFilter tunerFilter, IBaseFilter analyzerFilter, IBaseFilter winTvUsbCiFilter, TvCardBase card)

Are you using CA module?

Try to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Try to disable PpwerScheduler plugin.

Last edited:

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    There is an exception in tvserver log.

'KNCBDACTRL.dll': The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.KNCAPI.KNCBDA_CI_Disable(UInt32 m_iDeviceIndex)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.KNCAPI.CloseCI()
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.KNCAPI.Dispose()
    at TvLibrary.Release.DisposeToNull[E](E& o)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.ConditionalAccess..ctor(IBaseFilter tunerFilter, IBaseFilter analyzerFilter, IBaseFilter winTvUsbCiFilter, TvCardBase card)

Are you using CA module?

Try to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Try to disable PpwerScheduler plugin.

I don't think I am using a CA module as I only have a TBS 6820 and the motherboard for video if a CA module is the following

"A Conditional Access Module (CAM) is an electronic device, usually incorporating a slot for a smart card, which equips an Integrated Digital Television or set-top box (STB) with the appropriate hardware facility to view conditional access content that has been encrypted using a conditional access system."

Been on channel 4 working fine all night so far but that is not to say it doesn't crash under none HD channels will re-install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" and disable PowerScheduler but just out of curiosity do I need the x64 bit package or does it not matter about the OS architecture as MediaPortal is a 32 bit application?

Thanks again will report back results

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

I think the KNC thing is a wild goose chase, but please definitely look at the VC++ redist.

will re-install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" and disable PowerScheduler but just out of curiosity do I need the x64 bit package or does it not matter about the OS architecture as MediaPortal is a 32 bit application?
    Exactly right - you need to install the x86 version because MP is a 32 bit application. :)

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    Just re-installed the package and disabled PowerScheduler and rebooted but it crashed after a couple of minutes on BBC One HD.

Thinking about the CAM and not really understanding what it is the TV has a built in Freeview HD tuner if that makes a difference?

Although the HTPC connects via HDMi.

I have attached the latest logs

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, this is odd. MP doesn't appear to be crashing in the traditional sense of the word. There are no errors in the system or application event logs. To me this feels like some kind of hardware related issue. Overheating component, unstable memory, GPU issue... something of that nature...

How new is your HTPC?
    Have you tried stress testing it to confirm stability?

Thinking about the CAM and not really understanding what it is the TV has a built in Freeview HD tuner if that makes a difference?
    Forget about the CAM thing. It is no problem that the TV has a built-in Freeview tuner.

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    Brand new I built it a few months ago but only just got around to setting it up as a HTPC.

Not tried the stress testing can you recommend a program?

Will this narrow down the hardware if it is hardware related?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom