PC Completely Freezes when watching TV or Video through MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
November 20, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ran it on a single stick's for a week and no issues, swapped over to both sticks last night and straight away experienced the problems.

Changed the BIOS settings from Auto to be 1333Mhz and 1.5v still had crashes so set them to 1066Mhz and 1.2v and still having crashes I am going to Google specifically for the memory, mobo and bios see if I can find anything.

Will keep this updated but might not be until the weekend once I have tried various things.

Cheers :)[DOUBLEPOST=1386666338][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh 100% sure I have mounted them correctly, I was going to try them in different slots as well

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, 1.2 and 1.5 V seem quite low. I thought the standard voltage for DDR3 was 1.65 V.

NOTE: do NOT try to apply 1.65 V unless you have confirmed that your sticks are designed to operate at that voltage. Failure to check may result in voiding the warranty and/or damage.

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    I was going from this information from the Corsair website

8GB XMS Memory kit for dual channel systems, 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 is the memory I have

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    I know that's why I brought it, Gigabyte support came back with nothing either.

I am going to give them a go in slots DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 tonight see if that makes a difference, they are currently in 1 and 2.

Cheers

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for the update. :)
    Is it possible your motherboard is not supplying the correct/specified voltage to the memory?
    Alternatively, are you 100% sure you've mounted it correctly and in the right slots? Mobo manuals usually specify which pair of slots to use for dual channel memory kits.
    Right I may have been a complete tit over this, When deciding to try swapping the RAM to different channel slots I decided to re read the manual concerning memory slots and I completely miss read it originally!

I have it in _1 and _2 and the manual states they should be in _1 and _3 or _2 and _4.

I did this last night and it worked without crashing so will give it another go tonight to make sure but it seems I have wasted your time.

Thanks for your continued help mm and sorry to have prolonged this issue further than it needed to be!

Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year! (y)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heh, no need to apologise! I'm sure you've learnt a lot in the process of investigating. For my part I sincerely appreciate your persistence and that you reported your investigation progress publicly. This thread gives other people an opportunity to benefit from what you've learned. :)

Merry Christmas! :)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    gonna subscribe just to see what happens, best soap in a while ;)
    I noticed the memory arrangement as soon as i read, normally dual channelling memory is done via every other slot populated(1,3- 2,4) and single or linear is by consecutive slots(1,2-3,4) this should make no difference apart from a slight performance drop so sounds like someone at gigabyte booboo'd with the bios code.

ChrisJoBarney

Portal Member
    November 20, 2013
    Home Country
    Hopefully this soap is about to be ceased!

Worked flawlessly since moving the RAM to the correct slots.

Just out of interest as I am new to MP I loaded it yesterday and the PC has probably been on/sleep for a week without a reboot and MP was really sluggish taking ages to respond to up/down arrow and enter, after a reboot it was fine so is this common?

Should I schedule in a reboot daily, every few days or weekly?

Cheers

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    can't help ya there m8, i always shutdown my two when finished, ssds make s3 a bit redundant for me

oh and in case anyone wonders ddr3 1.65 was used on early systems like i7 920s and hybrid ddr2/ddr3 boards but most use 1.5 now and its gonna get lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom