[Question] Performance question (1 Viewer)

lulsam

Portal Pro
December 28, 2006
Home Country
Spain Spain
Currently installed version 0.5.3 (IIS Express) and I noticed that it takes some time (several seconds) on actions that seem quite simple (eewven in the home LAN), so I am wondering about how could be the user experience with the regular IIS version, if it could improve a bit (or a lot) the performance.

Just to let you know that the current performance I have is good enough, and my system specs are pretty fine in my opinion (i5-3540K + 16 GB RAM). I also have an IIS up and running.

Thanks in advance

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Those things are usually either ASP.NET setup (which is even worse with IIS) on the first hit, some unoptimized service calls from MPExtended resulting in databases being read hundreds of times for a single page (which is a bug in WebMP or the skin), or some timeouts being hit.

The last two are certainly fixable, but that'll need some more details. Which pages are slow? Do you have the TvService setup? Do you use multiseat? Also post your logs please.

lulsam

Portal Pro
    December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It is not really an issue, as it is usable, it is more like a feeling of response time in some situations, usually while navigating from one screen to another, it seems that the petition is sent but the server does not respod for a while as it is indicated in the status bar of firefox. This does not happen always in the same screens. Another situation is in the screens taht have a lot of images / icos, but this could be normal because there are a lot fo petitions + answers from - to the server.

I will be travelling this weekend but I can make some navigation and send you any relevant log required. Would you please point me which specific logs you need? On the other hand: in your experience regular IIS offers more performance than IIS express or could be basically the same (only one clientmaking petitions)?

Thanks

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Some pages might take some time to load, but that's probably a bug in MPExtended. Hard to say anything about it without knowing the exact page though ;) Some Images should be cached on the client in the browser, so the number of images shouldn't matter much after the first load.

The logs in C:\ProgramData\MPExtended\Logs are the most interesting, you can export them from the configuration program too. Regular IIS offers about the same performance in my experience.

lulsam

Portal Pro
    December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I am back again. Attached are my logs, as I have just restarted the server I am not sure if there is any relevant information that may help you.

I also noticed this weekend (I was out of home, but accessing WMP from time to time) that sometimes WMP shows an exception (trace info showed in the webpage), but navigating back and retrying again the same page used to work correctly most of the times.

Please, point me to the operatiosn you need from to get more data in the logs.

Rgds

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks, this is enough information. I see a few problems in the logs, I'll try to fix them for a next release ;)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There are some strange characters in the IDs generated for your media, which trigger some problems in WebMP that might be related to this.

Last edited:

lulsam

Portal Pro
    December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yeah, in the music DB. I have a lot of work to do to have a clean correctly tagged collection. It is one of the reasons why a "folder view" will be very welcome.

Thanks

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I'm also having performance issues. When I click on any link, it will first appear to do nothing for few seconds (browser shows loading, but old page is sitll displayed) and then it will load whole page instantly.

Is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom