h.264 Video Codec: cyberlink pd7
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: advent
Cooling: fans
Power Supply: 250W
Remote: generic mCE compatible
TV: panasonic 1080p plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: dvi to hdmi

I installed RC4 and it all looks great. However I have noticed that the fans on my PC now kick in periodically - they didn't previously. I have monitored the system remotely using perfmon and I see that the CPU usage goes up from around 12% gradually over a minute or two to 100% and the process that is using the CPU is mediaportal.

There is no obvious cause. I have seen the problem while TV is being recorded but its MP not TVService that is using the CPU. I have not seen the CPU usage increase while watching tv only while recording

Logs attached fro a period while the machine saw toothed between 33% (higher than normal) and 100% - half ramping up, half at 100% over around 2-3 minutes.

After stopping MP TVservice usage dropped to 10% and continued to record......

Cheers

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There's nothing in logs to show what may have been causing this, but the usual suspects are DVB epg grab, try disabling and see if the same thing happens, or a plugin auto updating, ie TVSeries or Moving Pictures.

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Not sure if the DVB EPG graber is running - and I thought that was part of tvserver which is not showing any increase in CPU usage.

I have left the machine just showing tv - sits nicely at around 12% usage in total - basically tvservice on one (HT) CPU and MP on the other. When I start 2 recording after a few minutes the problem arises. Its all privileged time in MP - nothing else rises.

Stopped all the recordings (eventually) and CPU usage returns to nominal. Just tried one recording and low and behold CPU usage cranks up to 100% after a few minutes - longer than when doing 2 recording concurrently. Switched to program guide and CPU drops like a stone. Hang around (screen blanks as intended) and then go back to full screen. CPU stays put at a low level but then afer a few minutes up it goes

Basically the periodicity of the CPU increase is much shorter with 2 concurrent recordings than with 1. No recording may have a very long periodicity

Nothing I can find related to the MP process increases when the CPU increases.........more monitoring may reveal something

System sat doing nothing - no MP - shows a very idle system.

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    I have done some more monitoring. The problem appears even when watching TV regardless of recording (guess its still time shifting).

Having looked at an idle MP (no TV) I noticed that most of the MP time is privilege time rather than user - around 10%-15%. When the CPU usage goes high its the privilege time that increases - user remains constant and very low but overall usage goes to 100%. [this privilige/user split appears to be the case whatever MP is doing]

The problem only arises when TV gets involved. What I just cannot understand is why MP shows a problem and not TVS. I though TVS did most of the work and MP "just" displayed the image - very similar to displaying a video (which so far has not shown ANY problems).

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Any idea what else I could monitor to determine what's happening?

[does the released MP come with symbols? I could possibly connect Visual Studio to the running system and see where its spending its time]

chillertje

Portal Member
    October 16, 2008
    I have the same behaviour.
    I use speedfan to control my fans and my asus pundit(4400+) (only tv-client) goes sometimes to 100% for a few secs. I have the same behaviour on my laptop, but he can't handle the 100% so it hang up :( (centrino 1.7 ghz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom