picture breakup when watching TV over Wifi (1 Viewer)

cypher007

Portal Member
September 12, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
if i use media portal to watch TV, live or recorded, over Wifi to either of my N connected laptops from a central server, i get picture breakup. if i play a ts stream via media player classic home cinema from a mapped driver on the same server it fine. any ideas?

p.s. what can i use to recode the ts streams. ive tried ripbot264 and dvdfab, both lockup or crash on BBC HD streams.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Cypher,

I eventually gave up trying to reliably stream wirelessly, even using an 'N' type router. I suspect I was just getting too much interference from other sources around the same frequency - neighbours wireless routers, DECT Cordless phones, 'Magic eye' remote senders etc, etc. SD stuff was OK - ish, but HD was unwatchable. There was just no consistency at all.

On fixed clients I now use the AV200 'passthrough' Homeplugs which work really well, but will soon be installing a Gigabit network throughout the house. (MePo seems to have taken over my life now ;) )

I know it doesn't solve your problem, but there have been many others that have asked the same thing.

M.

VirtualMP

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but its the most recent on the subject I could find. I am also having problams streaming over WiFi. I can get MP to work perfectly if I use a WDS on my DD-WRT routers but if I use them in bridge mode I get video breakup. Any WiFi device connected directly (not via a cable to a bridge or a WDS) suffers the same video breakup. Any Ideas? Some posts seam to think its becaus of packets being lost due to UDP, I guess a WDS has protection against this and so works. Really keen to get this working, I gave up inittially and installed cables but am now looking at converting the shed to a room and want a telly in there, if I cant get WiFi to work the only other option is Homeplug devices which I have tried to avoid up until now.

VirtualMP

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    Dragging this up again. Its almost definitely a UDP issue. As part of a different project I have set up a segregated WiFi network that only has access to my main network via a VPN (openVPNAS) and with this set to TCP mode I get perfect picture on WiFi clients. Its a long way round and was never done as a solution to MediaPortal on WiFi but it works. Maybe a more simple answer is something like this http://tunnel.mrq3.com/ I'd be keen to hear from anyone who already has it working and on what hardware.

I could tell you a joke about UDP but you might not get it.

exe222

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi VirtualMP, and all,

could you please be more specific how to get the tunneling setup running? Is this by now the only way to "fix" it?

VirtualMP

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    I have not tried the tunnel I was just suggesting it as an option. I am using a VPN (OpenVPNAS) and have this set to TCP mode. I set the VPN up for other reasons, I have 2 old laptops that dont support anything more than WEP so I have a seperate WiFi network just for them with VPN access to the main network. They both use MediaPortal with no problems as the VPN sends UDP over TCP (this is a bad VPN practice but I only have 2 clients!). I also have a WiFi link using WDS to my Garage and MediaPortal runs fine over this but whenever its a straight WiFi connection I get picture breakup.

there is also this option but again I have not tried it. You would have to set it on all clients connected via WiFi.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/Debug_Options?

exe222

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you very much - the debug options with UNC configuration was the solution.
    Why is something that important (for WIFI users) hidden in the deep of MP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom