MP2 - V2.4.1 Play button reverts to beginning after using Fast Forward (1 Viewer)

irw

Portal Member
July 21, 2022
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MP2 Version
Before you create this bug report:
  1. Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the Requirements and you've filled in your System Specs.
  2. Have a look at our MediaPortal Wiki! Maybe the solution is already there.
  3. Have a look at our Jira (Bug and Issue Tracker)and the threads in this section, maybe your problem is already known.
  4. Search the forums for your problem, it's very likely that someone else already encountered the same problem.

Please always include log files with your Bug Report!
Check out our Wiki: Bug Reports and Log Files

==================================================================

Describe the Problem you encounter as detailed as possible! "It does not work" won't help the team to understand the problem.
Description:
Occurs when viewing a TV recording.
Click Fast Forward to get either 2X or 4X then to stop Fast Forward and revert to playing the programme, I assume I should click the Play button. When Play is clicked it starts the programme from the very beginning and not from where it had reached when in Fast Forward.

Describe as detailed as possible the steps that are required to encounter the issue. This info is critical for the team to understand the problem.
Steps to Reproduce:

irw

Portal Member
July 21, 2022
Home Country
@morpheus_xx I can reproduce the problem. There are no issues in logs visible.
I would like to add that the fast-backwards/reverse button also fails. It does respond to a mouse-click by muting the audio and freezing the screen for about 0.25s but the programme does not move into reverse. I found this true of versions 2.3 and 2.4 too.

Before making these posts, I did as suggested to make sure the PC meets the requirements, but many of the links on the requirements page are old and about half are now 404 Not Found.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    @morpheus_xx I can reproduce the problem. There are no issues in logs visible.
    I can see the problem, it's was caused by this change and the way TogglePause works, I have a fix locally and will create a JIRA and push.
    I would like to add that the fast-backwards/reverse button also fails. It does respond to a mouse-click by muting the audio and freezing the screen for about 0.25s but the programme does not move into reverse. I found this true of versions 2.3 and 2.4 too.
    I can reproduce this and will have a look.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    This looks like a limitation of Windows DirectShow, which we use for playback, where playing a video backwards/fast rewind is generally not supported and I'd be surprised if this has ever worked, or if any Directshow based player on Windows can achieve true reverse video playback. The generally supported way to seek in MP2 is to use the left/right arrows on your keyboard/remote to skip backward/forward, repeatedly pressing these will allow you to increase the time to skip, this will also work around the issue you were having above with the play button.

@morpheus_xx I don't know whether you can confirm whether reverse playback has ever worked? We do perform a check for the seeking capabilities in the player and use this to determine what buttons to show in the OSD, but I think the check is wrong. For setting a playback rate less than zero it checks for AMSeekingSeekingCapabilities.CanSeekBackwards, the documentation on this is a bit sparse but I think that only refers to setting the current position to a previous time and the graph returns an error when setting a rate less than zero even when this is present, there is a separate capability CanPlayBackwards which is what I think should be really checked for, but that is likely to be false in all but exceptional cases.

@ge2301 this might require a rethink of the player OSD, maybe changing the RW/FF buttons to skip instead, I can fix the check described above for CanPlayBackwards so the RW button won't be shown, but then I think in most cases there will be a FF button and no RW button. I have also pushed the play/pause button fix to this branch, I managed to implement a solution where the button's command is switched between play/pause based on the current state using a DataTrigger rather than calling TogglePause. The TogglePause method is broken really, and at the very least should probably pause the player when seeking, rather than restarting playback from the beginning, as the player is still technically playing, but explicitly calling play or pause from the skin is at least clear as to the intended behaviour.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    This looks like a limitation of Windows DirectShow, which we use for playback, where playing a video backwards/fast rewind is generally not supported and I'd be surprised if this has ever worked,
    Sorry guys, but I don't have any version of MP2 installed at the moment :(. But I can tell you what MP1 supports. However, I don't know whether MP1 and MP2 use identical playback methods, or different playback methods. So this post may be completely pointless.

MP1 supports these capabilities for live TV and recorded TV:
    • Fast forward wind and fast backward wind, at speeds which are powers of 2 (obtained by repeated pressing of the button): 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x.
    • Jump forward and jump backward by a user configurable amount. I have the "instant jump" set to one minute, and the "timeout jump" set to 5 minutes with an extremely small timeout (I don't use the other jump amounts that are obtained by pressing the button repeatedly).
    MP1 does not support:
    • Reverse play at normal speed (1x).
    • Forward play at slower than normal speed (typically 0.5x).
    • Frame advance when paused.
    • Jump forward and jump backward for DVB-T/DVB-S radio broadcasts and recordings.
    When fast winding or fast rewinding, pressing the pause button stops the fast winding/rewinding and puts the player into paused state. Pressing play then resumes playback from the pause point.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Fast forward wind and fast backward wind, at speeds which are powers of 2 (obtained by repeated pressing of the button): 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x.
    Thanks, I looked into how MP1 does this and it's not a true fast rewind/reverse playback, it essentially just manually sets the current video position to a previous time, renders the frame, then sets the positon further back, etc. We could potentially do something similar in MP2 with a bit of work.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have also pushed the play/pause button fix to this branch, I managed to implement a solution where the button's command is switched between play/pause based on the current state using a DataTrigger rather than calling TogglePause
    Thanks, I gave it a try and I like it, because it's an easy fix.
    Regarding FFW and FBW we had always trouble, bu I never checked it deeper, because I'm not using the functions. Implementing it as a pseudo function in MP1 could be a solution, but you need to judge the "bit of work" ;)

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Description:
    Occurs when viewing a TV recording.
    Click Fast Forward to get either 2X or 4X then to stop Fast Forward and revert to playing the programme, I assume I should click the Play button. When Play is clicked it starts the programme from the very beginning and not from where it had reached when in Fast Forward.
    This is not a problem we've noticed and I've just tried fast forwarding a TV recording (both 2 and 4 times). Pressing the play button while fast forwarding reverts to normal speed at the correct point in the programme. The fast rewind button has never had any effect.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    This is not a problem we've noticed and I've just tried fast forwarding a TV recording (both 2 and 4 times). Pressing the play button while fast forwarding reverts to normal speed at the correct point in the programme. The fast rewind button has never had any effect.
    It's skin dependent, I think only Nereus and WMC are effected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom